Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dividing hard drive into 2?

• Please log in to reply

clareb2005

clareb2005

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
Is it possible to split a hard drive into 2?

I have over 3500 music tracks on my PC and it takes ages doing virus scans and that as it goes through all the music as well, so I'm thinking putting music on one half and everything else on another just so it's easier to scan and stuff

I wouldn't know the first thing about doing it if it's possible!

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
As an alternative, you could set your virus scan options to exclude the Music folder(s).

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
Yes, it is possible, depending on how full the disk is and what you are willing to do. Doing a full backup is a good first step. Defraging the disk is the next step.

There are programs which will allow you to resize a partition, some cost money, others do not. For example, you can use Knoppix Live CD and boot it and use qtparted to change the size.

Another method is to copy all the data off, then delete the existing partitiion and create two new partitions, half the size of the disk.

If you don't always need the data available, you could create CDs, DVDs or use a USB connected disk.

clareb2005

clareb2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
I did try but it won't let me, I've gone through all the settings and help screens on my virus program

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
What AV are you using?

clareb2005

clareb2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
I've got McAfee Security Centre

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Is there a version number?

These instructions are for McAfee Enterprise 7.0:
* Go to the VirusScan Console.
* Right-Clink on "On-Access Scan" and choose "Properties"
* Choose "All Processees"
* Choose "Detection"
* Choose "Exclusions"
* Click on "Add"
* Browse to the folder you want excluded.
* Check the box "also exclude subfolders"

Can you find anything similar in your version?

clareb2005

clareb2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Sorry! Mine's version 10, and I couldn't find anything like you had on yours

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Is it VirusScan Online 10?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Check out this link: http://vil.nai.com/v...tion.aspx#VSO10

Scroll down to VirusScan Online 10 instructions. Is this what yours looks like? If so, check VirusScan Options.

clareb2005

clareb2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
I tried this option and it only lets you choose whether you want to scan for PUPs or not :S

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Right - the link was dealing with PUPs. But if you go into Configure VirusScan Options (top option in right column), do you see a place to exclude certain folders?

clareb2005

clareb2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
No, I tried this earlier :whistling:

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
ClareB, what would probably be better is to buy a 2nd hard drive and install it in the computer and move all your music to that drive. I have 9800 MP3's i copied off my Music CD collection that i almost lost when the hard drive i had them on was corrupted by a virus. I was able to recover the MP3's and since then have kept them on their own HD. I was paranoid enough to copy them all to DVD's also but thats just me.I have moved this 120 G drive to 3 different computers so far and still burn music cd's when i want to from the drive. The plus here is it only takes a few minutes to defrag or run a virus check because not much changes on the drive. I just add more MP3's when i buy new CD's. I'm up to almost 45 gigs now.

http://www.helpwithp...-hard-drive.htm

SRX660