Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Patches for XP SP2

• Please log in to reply

DA IMP

DA IMP

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello,

First of all, sorry if this topic's been around before. I guess it has, but I honestly couldn't find anything on this manner here.

I need to install all the security patches Windows provides through its update system for XP SP2.

Long story short, I want to download them and install them manually somehow. At the very least, I need a list of all patches that apply to XP SP2, to be able to choose which ones I want to install, since many of them aren't mandatory for security purposes. Also knowing if there's any "required order of installing" and the like...and a handy way to download them all in one go, instead of having to search for, pick and do the old "ok/accept/done" clicking for each of the dozens of patches.
I guess this is called streamlining.

If you want the long version, here goes...

Normally, this system is rather whimsical on when it actually offers you the chance to start the downloads, even if you specify a time of day in the settings.

I always solve this by going to the Windows Update website, but in this case, the computer is running behind a firewall that blocks both Automatic Updates and the website. Moving the computer somewhere else for the duration of the patching is out of the question.

The people administering all this provide us with a SUS application that downloads all patches from within the servers, overriding the normal update service. However, this method is even more whimsical than XP normally is. I've been trying and trying, over whole days, and XP won't deign itself to start downloading patches. To this, the Systems people don't offer me any alternatives. I can imagine aplenty, since they clearly have to have the patches downloaded apart somewhere in reach. But from here it looks like an awful lot of bureaucracy would be involved.

Having easy, direct access to these downloads, instead of being at the mercy of these different update systems that could *really* use a little "update now" button, would be a huge boon to me, as I'm doing OS installs pretty often these days.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could ask how they have software update set, it may be they delay them until they are sure they won't adversly affect anything

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I believe a partial solution to your problem would be to download SP 2 and burn it to a CD.
Then you can update that part at least.

MS website for SP2

DA IMP

DA IMP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks for your fast replies people.

Keith:
I'll ask them, to have all bases covered, but given the reply I got, it really sounded like it operated in as random a manner as the normal Automatic Updates. Which raises the question: Why replace one system with another that does essentially the same, and that is not any less safe than our own networking is?
Quite frankly, your own idea possesses logics, something that doesn't permeate those Systems folks at this place often enough.
There's always the chance they're dumb enough that they forgot to tell me something that is very obviously the solution :whistling:

123Runner:
SP2 is not a problem at all, since it's a single large file that I keep handy at my workplace, along with other software essentials. It's the very first thing I install on any computer these days.
The issue are all those patches released since SP2 (70+ I think).

I'd love to have them put together like the SP2 is...while preferrably letting me choose which to apply, since I don't want all of them.

In the end, this is not 100% mandatory. I've had several PCs running on a largely unpatched XP SP1 for years without a single security breach. But honestly, I'm trying to change that now...offer a safer, smoother functionality through these computers, and having several of the more important workstations without proper patching will make me feel like a slacker...and look like one too if anything happens after said promises of safer and smoother computers.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There are a few options, such as here

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/

I asked about software update because if anything happens which needs your techs, they will want to know why the PC has patches on it they didn't expect

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
I think these folks had your type of situation in mind: http://www.softpedia...atcher-XP.shtml I haven't used it, but did use the sister app autostreamer to make a CD with SP2 slipstreamed into my original SP1 CD file. That all went as adverised-no problems.

DA IMP

DA IMP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, I forgot to mention something important though. English won't work, since it's the spanish version :whistling:

Keith: Using the softwarepatch.com option seems impossible then. Even if the patches did install, I'd be running on risks of things becoming unstable.

1101doc: AutoPatcher seems great at first. But the review's claims that it'll load on any language are patently untrue. It gives a "Module Panic" error and doesn't let me go on.

I guess I have no choice but to look up SP2's release date (August the 10th of 2004 according to Microsoft, September according to softwarepatch), then manually download and install all patches released since, in their spanish version from microsoft.com

I'd like something less annoying of course, but I don't have any time left to keep tinkering with this.

I wonder too, in case some patches did install automatically...is there any way to find out what updates Windows has on it, besides the Service Packs?

Edited by DA IMP, 05 January 2007 - 09:46 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Tech Departments can wait before approving updates

If you go to Microsoft Update and click custom scan it will offer all available, then you can untick those you do not want, and choose to not be shown them in future checks

It will be worth asking the Tech Department if there are any they would not want installed because if you need them, they may say any unauthorised updates are responsible

DA IMP

DA IMP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Keith:

The problem's solved now, so first of all, I want to thank you and the others for your help.

I had to download then install the about 120 patches one by one, since Windows Update's more automated systems are blocked by the intranet-wide firewalls, but the tips you people offered helped me make sure I wasn't making any mistakes along the way, and will come in handy in future similar situations.

The Tech Dept. don't particularly monitor patches and updates on a pre-emptive basis, but they do declare disapproving of those that they see as troublesome.
Turns out the only one they don't officially approve is SP2 itself, because it tends to cause problems in combination with the antivirus (Trend Micro Office Scan, the one officially assigned).
I don't think that's common sense, since that antivirus is, in my experience, not very effective, and these days SP2 is pretty much mandatory.
So, I prefer keeping SP2 and will see about changing the antivirus software (which also causes other conflicts that I've under discussion in other topic), and had pretty much the liberty to pick the patches based on my own criteria thus.

That's all. Just wanted to thank you all, and give this issue a tidy closing. :whistling:

Edited by DA IMP, 15 January 2007 - 12:41 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting us know

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is an option if you need to keep it updated