Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD or Intel

• Please log in to reply

fortuitous

fortuitous

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
hi there, could you please advise as to wether amd or intel is the best route to follow, i play quite a lot of games, and watch a lot of movies, many thanks

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
it depends on your budget but im pretty sure if you want performnace and teh newest tech then i would go for an intel core 2 duo of some sort they are the best performing CPU at the moment with great overclocking ability and a massive amount of cache size

have a look at www.newegg.com and look for core 2 duo CPU's they range from the lowest the E6300 to the highest the QX6700 extreame

the CPU that most peaople are going for is the E6600 which is the best performing for a good price.

but on the other hand if your looking to build a little cheaper system then i would suggest looking at an AMD system. AMD have slashed their prices massivly in order to attempt to compeate with intel
AMD CPU's are still great and they are dual-core 64-bit but they cant compeate with the intel core 3 duo's because of their large cache size

it depends on your budget but in my opinion the core 2 duo's are the best CPU's available on the market today

troppo

Keith Lemon

Keith Lemon

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Go to www.tomshardware.com, or .uk whatever, neither matters. Anyway navigate to Cpu charts, have a look, i built my computer on reviews and specs (not just from this site but it will help alot) and it's perfect for me, because its what i want it for, and i knew what parts to buy from doing research. Back tot he cpu though, Intel seems a wise choice.

Max-T

Max-T

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
troppo has pritty much said it all, the new intel core 2 duo's are very good performace wise but can be pricy. You can still get a very good AMD prosessor for quite a bit cheaper, if you have only £100 to spend AMD are probably the way to go if money is no option go with the new intel core 2 duo.

i myself have an amd athlon 4000+ and it works fine for me, i watch movies and play games on my computer. i get about 250 frames per second on call of duty 2 with the settings maxed out and the resolution at 800*600. the whole specs of my computer are in my sig.

Edited by Max-T, 03 January 2007 - 06:07 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Up to you really, if you have a bit of cash to outlay then intel would be better performance wise, AMD is much cheaper and is easier to understand motherboards are better for AMD than intel but thats because AMD moved some bits of the mobo onto the chip.

If you go Intel or AMD either route youll get a decent PC things like games the graphics card is far more important than the CPU.

PS Max-T why on earth do you play call of duty 2 with max settings then put it on 800*600, its like buying all the parts to build an aston martin then using them to make a 1960s style beetle. you could safely turn your res to 1280x1024 or whatever your monitor is supposed to run at.

Edited by warriorscot, 03 January 2007 - 06:11 PM.

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
:whistling: :blink: :help: lmao at Max-T

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

PS Max-T why on earth do you play call of duty 2 with max settings then put it on 800*600, its like buying all the parts to build an aston martin then using them to make a 1960s style beetle. you could safely turn your res to 1280x1024 or whatever your monitor is supposed to run at.

Haha. True true if i was getting 250 fps on COD2 i would set mine to the highest resolution my monitor can take.

As its already been said AMDs processors are becoming cheap now but the Intel Core2 is way ahead of AMD at the moment but the processors are like twice the price. I like AMD as there suppose to have better FPUs or something my lecturer said lol meaning not as many errors as Intel but im sure Intel now have caught up with it all.

If you have the money go for Intel if your looking on a cheaper system then get an AMD processor.

Max-T

Max-T

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
he he , my moniters max 1280 by something, but hey what can I say I just prefer it at 800*600 i think its easier to shoot or something :whistling: dont mind me im just strange