Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ferrari contest discussion topic

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
We're fortunate to be able to offer our members this terrific prize! Thanks again to AMD and Microsoft. We've timed the giveaway to match the retail launch of Vista. Please use this topic to make any comments, or ask any questions regarding the contest!

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Admin, how in the world did you convince Microsoft and AMD to give you a grant for this offer?! That's incredible!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
As far as i know it was a promotional thing alot of websites/bloggers got them some places sold them on ebay for charity, i think this is a better idea.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Sure thing :whistling:

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Well good prize! maybe i can save up for one. the chances are 1 in 100,000 lol. Anyways gd luck every1!

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Admin, how in the world did you convince Microsoft and AMD to give you a grant for this offer?!

Microsoft recognizes Geeks to Go (and TomCoyote) as influential communities. Because of this I've developed some good contacts within Microsoft, and even been privileged to participate in some private Vista (formerly Longhorn) labs the past couple of years. Most of the information has been covered under a non-disclosure agreement (NDA), so I haven't been able to reveal much publicly. But, it is exciting to see behind the scenes what is involved in releasing a new operating system, and even having some input into the final product.

I was offered this laptop as a review unit, as were many other sites and bloggers (I read 90 somewhere). It has caused some controversy as some have considered these units as "bribes". I always intended to give this away, and have been discussing it with other admins since I found out about it.

I think the offer was a great way to get Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition in the hands of technologically savvy people that are able to offer a thoughtful opinion on it. Too bad Microsoft is getting bad press for it. I've had access to Vista Ultimate for some time, and also have a very capable desktop and laptop systems, so I thought it would simply be a nice way to reward a great community. :whistling:

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Indeed :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
But lets keep it quiet, the less people the better the odds :blink:
jk, good luck to everyone!
And boy admin, i'd wish i were you, seeing an operating system being built and having input on features and such would be an opportunity of a lifetime.
Whoever ends up winning......no bragging! :help:
James

Edit: lol, we already have two users with the same number.....Technical_1 and Maiestas......i think in the event of a tie they should both get half :whistling:

Edited by admin, 03 January 2007 - 10:42 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Edit: lol, we already have two users with the same number.....Technical_1 and Maiestas......i think in the event of a tie they should both get half

Rule #2:

2. In event of a tie, the first person to post the winning number wins!

I think someone may want to edit their entry. :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
*cough Maiestas *cough

or they could split it in half :whistling:
James

Edited by james_8970, 04 January 2007 - 12:22 AM.

Advertisements

Maiestas

Maiestas

eh...

• Retired Staff
  • 1,481 posts
k. I didn't know someone already put the number down.

Changing.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
:whistling: What are the chances..........1 in 100000 :blink:
James

Edited by james_8970, 04 January 2007 - 12:32 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I just though what about the guys over at tom coyote how are we going to detect the doubles we might need some designated number checkers.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
They only have 5 people that have said anything so far. Look here
Shouldn't be much of a problem.....still hard to believe that it already happened though.
James

Sp3ke

Sp3ke

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
It's a excellent prize, good luck to those who are going for the gold.