Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple keys

• Please log in to reply

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
It true that one key will go to one computer for Vista right? Well does that mean my family would have to get 3 upgrades Vista seperately or can we just buy addition keys cheaper from Microsoft when Vista is released?

Edited by Comrade General, 03 January 2007 - 05:25 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
In my experience buying extra activation keys fro MS is a losing battle. I find it easier to find a retailer that will let you buy 3 or 4 CD's while you are buying hardware for new builds. This also lets you sell the computer with a CD when you want to upgrade to a newer computer. The CD is worth $70-80 in the price of a used computer easily. Microsoft's multiple buying program has a minimum of 5 licences and they really only discount by $10-15. When i buy from retailers the price is usually around 70-75% of MS's prices.

SRX660

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Apple offers a "family pack" for their OS. I know of no such plans for Microsoft and Vista.

They really should realize that multicomputer households are becoming commonplace.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
It'd be great if I wasn't looking foward to Vista and dislike Apple. :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You would have to buy new computers for your entire home to use apple, ive got a home with multiple PCs but i think only my PC will get vista its the only one up to it as the other machines are older and work fine with XP, although i may load ubuntu on the older machine as its largely only for browsing the internet.

Vista isnt actually as expensive as i thought it would be the pre order prices are hitting the online stores now and if you are buying OEM its not that much more than XP only between £5-35 more than the equivalent XP version, the retail costs more but you are buying 32 and 64bit versions(dont know why they are charging more you only get one licence.