Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Installer & Windows Defender problems when booting

• Please log in to reply

truder

truder

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hi,

Was wondering if I could get a little help. Everytime I boot up my computer I get a couple messages on my screen. The first has to do with Windows Defender. My computer tells me that the application failed to initialize 0x80010689. A problem caused windows defender to stop. The second is that each time I boot up Windows Installer starts says preparing to install then says that Microsoft office xl professional, the feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM.

What do I need to do to not have these 2 things happen each time I boot up my system?

Thanks for your help.

Truder

Advertisements

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Truder,

You are currently getting your computer fixed in the following post in the malware section,

Truder Malware Post

I highly suggest you stick with that before trying to fix other problems that might get worse if you don't clear the malware first.

:whistling:

Excal

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Windows Defender beta2 expired at the end of December 2006. I've seen this error on two workstations at the office (both were W2k). The current version is 1593.

But please, folow Excal's advice and wait on the "all clear" before trying to fix other stuff.

truder

truder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Will do, Thanks

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
It looks like your case in Malware is done.

Here's additional information on Windows Defender Beta2, if you still need it.

The link to Windows Defender's home page: http://www.microsoft...re/default.mspx

Be careful if upgrading. Microsoft states that if you have version 1.1.1592.0, you must first manually uninstall Windows Defender before you can install this newer version. To configure or remove the existing version, use Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel.

If Defender won't open to allow you to check the version, go to Add/Remove Programs, highlight Windows Defender and click Support Information. It will give you the version there.