Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spyware = BIG money!

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
From this article: (I added the emphasis)

"Spyware writers are continuing to innovate and find new, more deviant ways to infiltrate systems," said Stiennon. "The increased presence of hijackers, dialers, and keyloggers demonstrates that the new trend for these threats is to go straight for the jugular."

Spyware/adware writers are doing that for one reason: money.

Stiennon, who has analyzed the spyware/adware economy, has come up an average cash flow per "customer installation" per year of $2.40. For each system infected, then, he estimates that the adware author generates $2.40 annually in pop-up fees, redirect fees, and other charges.

His cash-flow projection for the creator of CoolWebSearch -- which using his formula may be on more than 127 million machines worldwide -- is thus $306 million. The company behind Gator/GAIN -- the Redwood City, Calif.-based Claria -- is bringing in around $92 million a year, while 180search Assistant is raking in $86 million.

"These guys make spammers look like two-bit back alley operations," said Stiennon. "No wonder there's a gold rush to get in on this."

I think we're in the wrong business. :tazz:

Advertisements

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I believe you might be right. There are too many people out there that just follow this stuff even though they think it's annoying and they don't come to people like us for help til they've bought everything they wanted or joined half of those advertised sites.

ahh the pity.. wish we could get paid that much to remove the stuff...