Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No malware, but problem persists...csrss.exe

• Please log in to reply

joejobs

joejobs

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
HI
I have been trying to get PC booting in 7 secs like normally
but takes about 40 secs now.
Tried malware in that forum, but no trace of malware.

Is there a command to reinstall XP or repair it directly from run with the cd?

I am out of ideas.....please help.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Yes. You can do a Windows Repair Install.

*** Be aware, repairing Windows does not cause you to lose any data or files, but you will have to reinstall other software you had installed, as well as device drivers and all the Windows hotfixes and updates that you've installed since you put the computer intos service.

To repair Windows, put the Windows CD in your CD drive. Power the computer down, then power it back on.

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD. If you don't get this message the first time, reboot and press F12 for the boot menu when the Windows splash screen first appears.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER....

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.....

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed.
Do not select this option.....

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP......

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.....

This will repair XP and put everything back to as it first was.....

Again, you will have to reinstall any Hotfixes and OS updates. You may have to reinstall other software you had installed.

joejobs

joejobs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
thanks,
I used another method that ran from the run command once
I think it is something like scannow/ cd; I lost the command,
that method is a lighter way to experiment to see if that is the problem. :whistling:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What you are referring to is going to START-->RUN and typing in sfc /scannow, noting the space between sfc and /scannow.

Fenor