Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound issues

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

joejoe12

joejoe12

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi all,
I am having some issues with the sound on my laptop when playing DVDs with Media Player Classic.

Just some background, recently Dell replaced the system speakers in my computer...I'm not sure if this was the cause of the problem or not, but my warranty is expired, so I can't go back to them to find out.

When I go to play a DVD, I hear everything fine. But when there is music (background noices, climatic music, anything of the sort) playing, I cannot hear the actors'/actresses' voices.

If i put the volume all the way up, I can hear the voices, but the music is deafening.

I'm not sure if this is a hardware issue, or what it could possibly be.

The reason I use Media Player Classic is that if I try to play a dvd in Windows Media Player, I get an error message. This could be a separate problem, or connected. I followed advice on other websites, and have used the Windows CP Video Decoder Checkup Utility. I get two results, which are neither compatable with Media Player 10 or MCE Compatable.
Here are the two things:
Ligos MPEG Video Decoder, lmpgvd.ax, 4.0.0.83
GPL MPEG-1/2 Decoder, GplMpgDec.ax, 0.1.2.0

Hopefully someone can help me with either problem. Just fyi, the Dvds I am trying to play are all legally obtained, either from Netflix (free trial) or bought from the store, and the problem exists with all of them (eliminating the "it must be the CD" problem).

Thanks!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try playing the DVD in VLC Media player. Once downloaded and installed, click on FILE-->OPEN DISC. In the new window that appears, just make sure that the DEVICE NAME corresponds to your DVD drive. Meaning if your DVD drive is E:, then make sure it says E:. Then click OK and the DVD should start playing. Let us know if it plays better.

Oh and VLC Media Player is a completely free program.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc

Fenor

joejoe12

joejoe12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
thank you for the reply, i am trying that as i type. i will repost an update in a few minutes

joejoe12

joejoe12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Fenor,
Thanks for the fix, it works perfectly.
Thanks again

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad it's working good now. :whistling:

I love VLC. I use it to play every type of video media.

Fenor