Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstalling openSUSE

• Please log in to reply

Bridgecraft

Bridgecraft

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
So I know I want to uninstall openSUSE. How would I go about? Use XP to format partitions then boot into recovery console and fixmbr or would I do it in some other way in some other order?

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi there,

How about from inside XP go to start, right click on My Computer and select Manage. Choose Disk Management then select the Linux partitions and format from there. Then boot to recovery console and run FIXMBR.

If you need to resize the *nix partitions or join them into one then your stated course of action should work.

Bridgecraft

Bridgecraft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thanks! I will give it a try.

Bridgecraft

Bridgecraft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
When I go into disk management all I get is "Delete logical drive"

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Sorry about that. I use different tools for partition work but I've used the disk management to set up new drives. I forgot it only works on drives mark as primary. I generally find most microsoft utilities wanting. I guess that's why there is a market for things like Partition Magic and Bootit NG and good FOSS alternative like gparted and QTParted.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Try booting from the install CD and type in "rescue". Some installs have an option to select reinstalling the Windoze boot loader.

Bridgecraft

Bridgecraft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
But is it any different if I am deleting a logical drive?

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts

But is it any different if I am deleting a logical drive?

No. I was just playing around with the management console and you can delete the partitions then create new volume(s) from the unallocated space. The reason it only allows you to delete it is it doesn't recognize the file system. Got to love the limitations of Winedoze.

Bridgecraft

Bridgecraft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I hear you lol! w00t no data loss!