Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

domain error

• Please log in to reply

sloth88

sloth88

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I am trying to join my personal laptop to our school network domain. I have full privileges, and have set up more than 100 desktops on this network, without a problem. When I connect the network cable, I can access the Internet with not problem, I just can't get onto our network. We have a Win2K server. I have an HP Pavilion dv5000 laptop, running XPpro. When I try to join the domain I get the following error message "domain controller for [company name] could not be found. Domain does not exist." Obviously the domain does exist and work for the other computers in the building. I know I have a valid IP address, subnet, gateway, etc. I have Nortons on my laptop (since it is used outside of this network most of the time) but etrust and websweeper are running on the network. :whistling:
I have tried lots of different ways around this problem with no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go.

Confirm that the WXP firewall is off.

Confirm the user account you're using to add the computer to the domain is in the Administrators group (in AD on the server).

Confirm that any other AV and/or Firewall software is disabled.

Confirm Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP is checked. See Microsoft article 290129 for additional information.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Did you get this resolved? If so, what was the solution?

sloth88

sloth88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I did get it. It was all related to firewalls. I had Norton's on my laptop, and I had to go into the security section and change personal firewall info. I added the IP and subnet of the school's server under trusted computers and that made all the difference.
Thanks for your help.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Very good :whistling: