Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help my computer is all blue

• Please log in to reply

trockwell12

trockwell12

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer will not let me do anything its says Active desktop HTML file not found how do I fix my computer.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go.

Look at this Microsoft article 193110. Did this help?

trockwell12

trockwell12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Not really it wont let me download anything from the net. So do u now how to install programs manually

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could have read the article from the PC you are using to post here??

RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files Or Folders.
2. In the Named box, type mshtml.dll, and then click Find Now.
3. If the Mshtml.dll file is found, right-click it, click Rename, and then type a new name for the Mshtml.dll file (such as Mshtml.xxx).

If the Mshtml.dll file is not found, skip to step 4.

For more information about how to rename a file, click Start, click Help, click the Index tab, type renaming, and then double-click the "Renaming Files" topic.
4. Quit the Find tool.
5. Extract a new copy of the Mshtml.dll file from your original Internet Explorer CD-ROM, the folder to which you downloaded the Internet Explorer Setup files, or your original Windows 98 disks or CD-ROM to the Windows\System folder.

NOTE: If you do not have an Internet Explorer CD-ROM or a folder on your hard disk that contains the Internet Explorer Setup files, contact Microsoft Product Support Services.

NOTE: If you previously applied an update to the Mshtml.dll file provided by Microsoft, reinstall the updated version of the Mshtml.dll file instead of the version included with Internet Explorer or Windows 98.

In Internet Explorer 4.0 or 4.01 for Windows 95, follow these steps to extract the Mshtml.dll file:

a. At a command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER
extract /l <path1> <path2>\ie4_s2.cab ie4_2.cab
where <path1> is the path to the folder to which you want to extract the Ie4_2.cab cabinet file, and <path2> is the path to the folder in which the Internet Explorer Setup files are located.

NOTE: If you downloaded Internet Explorer 4.0 or 4.01 from the Internet, <path2> is location of the Internet Explorer Setup files on your hard disk. If you installed Internet Explorer 4.0 or 4.01 from a CD-ROM, <path2> is the path to the Internet Explorer Setup files on your Internet Explorer 4.0 or 4.01 CD-ROM.
b. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER
extract /l <path1> <path2>\ie4_2.cab mshtml.dll
where <path1> is the location of the Windows\System folder, and <path2> is the path to the folder to which you extracted the Ie4_2.cab file.

In Windows 98, use the System File Checker tool to extract the Mshtml.dll file. For information about how to extract files using the System File Checker tool, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

ARTICLE-ID: 129605 http://support.micro...b/129605/EN-US/
TITLE : How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files
If the behavior persists, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type "regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll" (without quotation marks), click OK, and then click OK again.
3. Restart your computer.