Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Killbox won't remove a stubborn file in C:\Program Files

• Please log in to reply

JeffM

JeffM

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi folks,

I downloaded DAP (Download Accelerator Plus) a while ago and upon uninstallation, it left a DAP folder under C:\Program Files.

No problem, I thought, in order to trick the removal, I cut and pasted the folder from C:\Program Files into My Documents and then rebooted.

Usually when you drag a folder out of Program Files into My Documents and then reboot, you can delete it.

But not with DAP.

Heck, Killbox won't even delete it on reboot!

Any idea how to uninstall DAP completely from Program Files directory? I have searched google and haven't found any solution which works.

I've even gone into safe mode before/after dragging DAP to/from Program Files into My Documents and it still won't delete.

I also uninstalled and then reinstalled DAP in an effort to refresh the folder for delete, but still no luck.

The error I get when trying to delete C:\Program Files\DAP is as follows:

"Access is denied. Make sure disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

Honestly, Killbox won't delete it! :whistling:)

And I tried renaming DAP to something else and then deleting it -- nope, won't go away!

Thank you so much for any assistance. Great forum!

Kind Regards,

Jeff

Edited by JeffM, 03 January 2007 - 11:19 PM.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
download and try unlocker

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

maybe the file is too large try breaking it up by sending the sub files inside to my documents and use unlocker to delete each one

JeffM

JeffM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

download and try unlocker

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

maybe the file is too large try breaking it up by sending the sub files inside to my documents and use unlocker to delete each one

Thanks a lot for the quick reply, rushin1nd! I really, really appreciate it.

I should have mentioned that I have unlocker on my system already and that it didn't work with deleting this folder/files.

I tried to send the sub-files to My Documents as you mentioned as well (they're already in My Documents) but they still won't delete.

Thanks again for your reply and any other ideas are most appreciated and welcome.

Jeffff

JeffM

JeffM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Silverbeard,

Do you have any idea? I even tried to move the folder before deleting it and couldn't. It seems impossible to delete!

Thanks!

Jeff

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Sounds like it may have been list as a protected system component. The free trial of XPLite will allow you to turn off Windows file protection and delete pretty much any thing you want to, maybe. :whistling:

JeffM

JeffM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Cool, thanks -- I don't have that but will download and try.

Excellent. I appreciate your reply!

Jeff

JeffM

JeffM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Sounds like it may have been list as a protected system component. The free trial of XPLite will allow you to turn off Windows file protection and delete pretty much any thing you want to, maybe. :whistling:

Ah, shoot, that didn't work, but thanks for the download. This DAP folder just will not delete, no matter what! :blink:)

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
If you have a full installation CD you could use Bart's PE. It allows you to work with NTFS in a native environment but outside the OS your working on.

I've found it quite handy when dealing with tuff issues with like undeleteable files and root kit infested machines.

JeffM

JeffM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Thanks for that suggestion as well. I'm just thinking there's got to be an easier way. It's just one file folder I need to delete.

Jeff

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Look for a start up entry in msconfig then after the reboot move the folder to my documents and reboot then try deleting it

Advertisements

JeffM

JeffM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi Keith,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, there is no startup entry for this program under MSCONFIG.

Unlocker won't take care of it either, and it seems like Unlocker is a quality program, although for me Unlocker hasn't been able to delete any stubborn files. It will say it will delete them at the next reboot, but never happens.

Thanks again for your reply. Back to the drawing board!

Jeff

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have a look at CCleaner Slim

http://www.ccleaner....oad/builds.aspx

Open it click tools, start up to look for a registry entry there

JeffM

JeffM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Keith, thanks again for the suggestions. I actually have had CCleaner for a couple of years, and have the latest version on my PC. The only startup entries I have are cftmon.exe and unlockerassistant.exe.

There's gotta be some hidden registry entry which is preventing deletion of this useless C:\program files\DAP folder.

By the way, I think CCleaner is an absolutely awesome utility. One of the best at what it does. Good recommendation.

Jeff

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got any registry entries for speedbit

JeffM

JeffM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Keith,

Yeah, it found a folder named Speedbit under a Software tree -- I deleted it and am rebooting right now. I tried to delete the folder after deleting the Speedbit registry entry and it wouldn't delete still. Maybe a reboot into safe mode and then deleting will work this time. I'll keep you posted.

Thank you guys for your persistence and help. I really appreciate it.

Jeff