Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Warcraft III acting up

• Please log in to reply

waahooo

waahooo

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I wanted to play Warcraft III: Frozen Throne again since it's been a while since I played that game, but it's been having a lot of problems.
-When I move the camera in any direction, left, right, up, or down, it instantly moves all the way to the end of the map. This is the most annoying problem, since I can't move the camera to the middle section of the maps.
-When I click on a unit and right-click on land to make it move there, the pointing animation happens like 5 times, but really quickly, in the same amount of time as one animation.
-Sometimes the camera zooms in so much that one unit covers the enitre screen, and I can't zoom out of it.
-The game gets real shoddy, not as smooth as it should run.
-In the cutscenes, sometimes the animation stops but the voices continue, and sometimes the sound of the next segment of the cutscene overlaps the current part of the cutscene, so there are two or three voices talking at once.

I updated my graphics drivers and got the latest version of the game, which seemed to fix the problem. The game was running smoothly for a few hours. Then I minimized it, opened Opera, opened Outlook Express, and bam, it started happening again. I think it's a memory problem because it was using up between 170,000kb to 300,000kb of memory, compared to 80,000kb that WoW was using. I'm only having problems with this game.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by waahooo, 03 January 2007 - 11:08 PM.

Advertisements

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
waahoo, can you post your computer spec?

waahooo

waahooo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Asus M2N32-SLI Delux motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+
Ultra X2 550W power supply
2 Corsair Twin2X 1024A-6400 (two GB)
2 EVGA GeForce 7600 GT running in SLI

Interestingly, when I try to record the gameplay (using fraps), all the problems seems to disappear. Once I stop recording, the problems come up again. The FPS go down to 15 or so when I am recording while it's up at 60 when I'm playing the game normally.

Edited by waahooo, 05 January 2007 - 03:28 AM.

waahooo

waahooo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I tried lowering the graphics setting but that doesn't help.

waahooo

waahooo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I think I fixed it. I had antialiasing and anisotropic filtering pretty high, but I switched them to Application-Controlled, and now I have no problems.

waahooo

waahooo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
The problems are back. Not all, but that's how it all began before too, starting with some of the problems and eventually growing worse. Again, when I move the camera, it skips to the ends of the map immediately. And now, sometimes the cutscenes don't even play. The game skips the intro mission cutscene and goes straight to the gameplay.

And it still uses around 200mb of memory. That one never went away, even after I changed my graphics card settings to app-controlled.

Edited by waahooo, 19 January 2007 - 03:20 AM.