Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual monitors

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Quick question.
I'm planning on getting dual monitors. For gaming will the image be stretched out or will I see 2 times as much?
James

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
It is all amater of definition.
U can go into the settins and define them to be the same or one to continue the other. I have never tried to play games like that but if u r programing with a few windows then 2 monitors is easyer.
Y not get a bigger screen?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
because i can get 2x 21" monitors for the price of one 23"-24" monitor.
I don't want to stretch the image out on games, I want to know if it is possible to make 2times the amount of viewing space. I know its possible in windows, but is it in games?
James

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it depends on the settings...as far as how the machine handles the dual monitors...but IN GENERALL if the game/application/image is bridged across the two monitors...it will be stretched.....having two monitors (unless someone's made a game that has the capability to do so) will not say...give you the ability to see around a corner that you couldn't see around before...or see more of the actual game landscape...it would just be larger

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
humph.......so now i don't know if the dual monitors will be worth it. What do you guys think, i could unplug a monitor for gaming (i wouldn't have the computer or monitor on when doing so) so the image isn't stretched.....and still get the dual monitors for research, video editing, malware destroying, and for Photoshop :whistling:.
James

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...you wouldn't have to unplug the second monitor....just don't have anything stretch across....you can just have the montors hooked up and "extend" your desktop...which means that if you want to see something on monitor 2...you just drag it over to the second monitor...and there it is...play a game on monitor 1 while you keep up with your instant messaging, or geeks 2 go on monitor 2

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
i've heard of this. But it confuses me on how it'd work. Like on age of empiers for example, when you move the curser over to the left, how would the computer know that you want to more your screen around the map and not move your curser to your desktop.
James

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...that's kind of the issue with gaming on a screen and switching to another program (which is actually the same issue as playing a game and trying to get to outlook or aim on a single monitor)...the game "traps" the mouse and goes full screen...so that the mouse doesn't leave the field of play...you would simply need to alt-tab out of the game to another program to release the mouse....sometimes this can cause the game to crash though

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
yeah thats what i'm worried about. Although with dual cores now it probably won't be so much of an issue. Although i rarly have crashes when i alt-tab out on my old crappy computer. Can't wait for ATI to release their next GPU thats when my build begins......hopefully it'll be sooner then later.
Thanx for clarifing that dsenette.
James

Edited by james_8970, 04 January 2007 - 02:40 PM.