Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

stopping windows installer popping up ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

madmax33333

madmax33333

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
hi i keep getting the windows installer popping up saying preparing to install when i try and open internet exploser or incremail up how can i stop this and get back to normal thanks paul :whistling:

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
What program is it trying to install? Is that program valid?

I've seen similar problems after installing new software that integrated with other software (such as Paperport). I uninstalled the new software, ran a registry cleaner, and reinstalled. Try that first.

If you need a freeware registry cleaner, I recommend Easy Cleaner by ToniArts. You can download it here.

** Always use care when editing the registry. Be sure to back up the registry or set a system restore point before making any changes.

If that doesn't help, look at this Microsoft article 290301 for information on a Windows utilty that removes installer information.

After running the utility, reinstall the trouble software.

Hope this helps.

madmax33333

madmax33333

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
hi thanks for reply im unsure of what program its trying to install just get a messege ever time a open explorer 7 or incredmail grey box middle of screen says windows installer preparing to install and a cancel button tried cancelling it dead slow or if you leave it the grey box goes away untill you try and load a different page etc or open a email ???? i feel like chucking laptop out of window :whistling:

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Check the Event Viewer for events from MSInstaller. To get there, click Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer. You'll see three categories on the left: Application, Security, and System. The items under each category have a date and time stamp. Look for events that happened at the same time the installer box popped up. Especially from "source" MSInstaller". Browse those for clues to which program is trying to install. Or you can paste the errors in this thread. Once you have one of those events opened, there's a copy button to the right, just under the down arrow.

So basically, the installer box never really goes anywhere and never prompts for a CD to be inserted?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so no one is banging their heads against a wall here...please wait till your topic in the malware forum ( http://www.geekstogo...s...=143936&hl= ) get's finished before continuing here....we don't need people working on this issue in different places....let the malware guys finish their side of the job and if they don't find a sollution...come back to this thread for more windows help..

madmax33333

madmax33333

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
ok sorry was not sure which board to put it on just got another messege now error code 2908 :whistling:

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
having too many javas can cause this

in your add/remove programs see if you have more than one

J2SE runtime enviroment

Edited by rushin1nd, 04 January 2007 - 10:09 AM.

madmax33333

madmax33333

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
deleted all java and reinstalled still playing up :whistling: :blink: :help:

madmax33333

madmax33333

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
is the only way now to reinstall xp ???????????????? :blink: :whistling:

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
did you install or download anything recently

did you interuppt a install or download

or maybe some tried to download and canceled to quick

for now you try to find out before you do a reformatt

do you have spybot it maybe trying to do a repair from a download using windows installer to complete interuppted installation

Edited by rushin1nd, 04 January 2007 - 03:12 PM.

Advertisements

madmax33333

madmax33333

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
yes i did download a program ive tryed to uninstalling it and re-installing but it wont re-install it comes up with a 2908. and when i boot up my laptop i got office error at boot up at main screen it says this application must be installed to run please run setup from the location where you orignally installed the application? ive got a trial office 2003 thats expired and office 2000 which i tryed to repair in controll panel but not worked :whistling:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Please wait until AFTER you have been given a clean bill of health by the Malware Expert in your other thread before continuing with this this topic. It is pointless for us to try things that very well could be caused by some sort of malware on your machine.

Fenor

madmax33333

madmax33333

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
will do fenor :whistling: lets hope someone pick the thread up soon or laptop is out of bedroom window :blink:

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
i somehow dont believes its a malware issue

but how ever to try and help your annoying problem give this a try

Stop Windows Installer (msiservice).
To stop Windows Installer, follow these steps:
1. Open Control Panel.
2. Double-click Administrative Tools.
3. Double-click Services.
4. Right-click the Windows Installer service.
5. Click Stop.

keep posted at malware forum

im looking more in the direction at net framework and the Mscoree.dll

you can get more info here
http://blogs.msdn.co...346.aspx#412425

matt.

matt.

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
i have the same problem as u dude. if u want a quick and easy fix. just redownload what ever it wants u to install and select the directory is wanting.

like mine tried trying to install windows Journal Veiwer. so i unstaleld it. still happened then reinstalled it. then when it popped up i browsed for the file selcted and byebye it hasnt happened again.