Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

user profile delete option greyed out

• Please log in to reply

horsey

horsey

• Pip
  • 3 posts
When I try to delete a user profile from profile setting and my document and setting it can not be deleted. The profile setting DELTE option is greyed out for that pacifc user who does not have admin rights. I am an admin and trying to delete the user profile under my login and this a domain Pc.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Please confirm the operating system (including service packs) for the workstation and the domain server.

Try to log into the workstation with the local administrator account and try to delete the profiles and user folders.

horsey

horsey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The operating system is windows Xp Pro and the service pack is 1. The domain server is windows 2003.

horsey

horsey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
forgot to mention that I also loged-in as a local Pc admin but the option DELETE is still greyed out.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
1. Did you reboot before logging in as the local admin?

2. Are the profiles roaming?

3. Do you have 'offline files' turned on? If so, turn it off. Open My Computer, Tools menu, click Folder Options. On the Offline Files tab, clear the Enable Offline Files check box.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Is this resolved? If so, what was the solution.

One other note: you should install Windows XP SP2.

dixon496

dixon496

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had a corrupt profile had to create a new one (was a local administrator so thught that was causing problems aswell it wasnt that in the end), easiest method rename the users local profile then relog him in and then transfer his files across.

I went through every step possible file, drive, profile permissions admins network admins local amdins the answer was

untick offline files i spent an hour trying to resolve this issue, then restarted and logged in as a network admin just for good measure.

thanks

Old_Geek

Old_Geek

• Pip
  • 1 posts
To delete a profile you must be logged on as a local admin and the user you are trying to delete the profile of must not be logged on. Restarting the computer will fix the second requirement.