Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SONY VAIO Video Server Crashing with Click to DVD

• Please log in to reply

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Greetings. I have previously posted this before, but never received a definite answer or a solution to my problem. I am hoping that the third time is a charm :blink: Please note, I already tried to contact customer support and did my on-line research. But I did not find anything helpful. :help:

Here's my dilemma. I have SONY VAIO. It has video server, Audio Server and other stuff that supposedly was designed to make my computer a Studio PC or something. Previously I had no problem using "Click To DVD" software. Basically, I can plug my video camera to a computer, and use "Click To DVD" to make me a DVD of the videos from my camera. Now, it only possible if I use avi files and such. The moment I attempt to capture from Camera, I get (VAIOs) Video Server crash. I also tried to use other than Click to DVD software, with the same result. I believe there is a software conflict. However, I cannot figure out which one. Maybe Video Server is corrupted. Does anyone actually know what to do, or can walk me through troubleshooting? Please Please Please help me. :whistling:

Thanks.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi.

I will attempt to help you find the solution to your problem.

1. How old is your Vaio?

2. Is Windows XP Media Center the OS that came on the computer?

3. Is Click to DVD completely up to date? Did you try to uninstall and reinstall it?

4. Exactly what do you think is conflicting with Click to DVD and why?

I've been reviewing your prior post regarding Click to DVD: http://www.geekstogo...s...=131388&hl=

Did you contact Sony support as was suggested in that previous post?

In that post you stated you were trying to capture analog video from a Handycam. Is that the root of the problem now?

Were you ever able to successfully capture analog video from the Handycam? If so, can you determine a date when this ability stopped?

I found that at Sony's site - it discusses issues in capturing analog video: http://kb.sony-europ...Case=obj(63602)

Here's one thing I found. I don't know if will help your situation. http://forums.afterd...view.cfm/226203

Here's the link to Sony USA, in case you need it to contact technical support: http://esupport.sony...amp;PRODTYPE=24

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
1. Three years old (2004)

2. Yes MCE 2004

3. I don't believe there are means of updating it anymore. Also, I did attempt to uninstall and reinstall it. (I really do not believe it to be that this application causing the crash. )

4. I have a whole bunch of stuff installed on my PC. And there was a whole bunch of stuff I uninstalled. Something might have been deleted. Also, I have a lot of different media players.

5. I did contact SONY, and they suggested I contact ClickToDVD. I did not find contact info for them, except some Japanese web-site, that is mostly in Japanese, and not means of contacting anyone.

6. Yes. I also tried using VHS machine, with the same resuly. Video Server is Crashing, and stops working. And I have to Restart it by going to special Server's console (application).

7. Roughly 15 months ago. And my System Restore is not working either.

Thank you for the links. However, I read pretty much everything there is on SONY websites that resembles my issue. However, I did not find anything to grab on.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
What version of Click to DVD do you have?

Have you run a registry cleaner to clear out old and invalid items? I recommend Easy Cleaner by ToniArts. You can download it here.

** Always use care when editing the registry. Be sure to back up the registry or set a system restore point before making any changes.

Have you tried repairing your Windows installation or running System File Checker? Both of these require your Windows CD. If can post instructions if necessary.

Try booting into Safe Mode and try running Click to DVD. Does the crashing persist or stop in Safe Mode? If it stops, then there's a conflict. You can use MSCONFIG to troubleshoot the problem. See this link. It deals specifically with iTunes, but the technique applies to any software conflict.

Try logging into Windows normally, but under a different User Account. If you don't have another, add one. Click Start, Control Panel, User Accounts (be sure to put the new user in the Administrators security group). Log in using the new account and try running Click to DVD. Does the crashing persist or stop under the new user? If not, then your Windows User Profile may be corrupt. ee Microsoft article 555473 for instructions on creating a new account and migrating settings and documents from the old account.

Sometimes updates to various software (Windows included) can cause issues with other software that had previously worked. This may be the case here, but I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel.

Please post the results.

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Thank you. I will look into everything you wrote and see if I can repair registry. Maybe this will help. As far as safe mode, I thought of that one too. Didn't work. it ether did not work at all, or gave same symptoms. I will report on the progress by Saturday, as I am not home now, or earlier. Again, thank you.

Also, I have Norton System Works, so all Windows problems, shoud have been repaired with Win doctor.

Edited by bigdog1100, 18 January 2007 - 12:10 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
One more thing to try, if you haven't already: disable Norton before attaching the camera and trying to run Click to DVD.

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Already did :whistling: I started my computer, disabled Anti virus, Firewall and all other stuff that I could disable and knew about what it was. Didn't help.

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hello. Ok I downloaded software you recommended and cleaned registry. I have also created new account with Administrators privileges. After that, I tried running camera. And.....it did not work :whistling: I am attaching errors that were generated and server status (4 screen shots).

Do I still need that new account or I can disable it?

"Sometimes updates to various software (Windows included) can cause issues with other software that had previously worked. This may be the case here, but I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel."

Yes, I do have issues when Windows updates itself. DUring update, when I shut down Windows it says on the Shut Down button that before PC turns off Windows will update itself. It usually hangs and then I get all kinds of garbage, and have to reboot several times before Windows resume normal operation. I am not sure if this is related to my issue.

What else can I do? Thank you.

Edited by bigdog1100, 18 January 2007 - 11:22 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
You can delete the user you created yesterday.

Do you have all the CDs for the software installed on your computer? It might worth the effort to do a Repair Install of Windows Repairing Windows does not cause you to lose any data or files, but you will have to reinstall other software you had installed, as well as device drivers and all the Windows hotfixes and updates that you've installed since you put the computer intos service.

To repair Windows, put the Windows CD in your CD drive. Power the computer down, then power it back on.

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD. If you don't get this message the first time, reboot and press F12 for the boot menu when the Windows splash screen first appears.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER....

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.....

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed.
Do not select this option.....

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP......

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.....

This will repair XP and put everything back to as it first was.....

Again, you will have to reinstall any Hotfixes and OS updates. You may have to reinstall other software you had installed.

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hi. I have two options. First is Windows restore, that you suggested, and second, System restore, which is SONYs software. It does more thorough restore and puts SONY into its original factory condition. I do have DVDs with that data.

However, I would like to avoid this action, which is why I asked for help. What else can I do? Is it possible that I have a Hardware malfunction? Even without camera attached, I still get server crash error. Also, on one of the jpgs you can see it mentions conflict with TV tuner. Maybe this is an issue?

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I don't know what else you can do. I'll try to get some additional opinions and post back as quickly as possible.

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Ok. It seems that I am getting somewhere. Due to a different issue, which is I couldn't update the video driver for my Radeo9800 Pro card, I was rec commended to plug a new hard drive, with new Windows, which I took from my Recovery DVDs, and to see if it will work. While doing that, we got an idea to disable my Creative X-Fi sound card (through device manager) to see if this will help with my ClickToDVD. And it did record video and sound. I then, re enabled the card without reboot and then with cold boot, and it still works so far. And this is all happening on the new hard drive with new Windows, that I do not intend to keep, since all my junk is on my old hard drive. So, I will keep you updated, but it seems that X-Fi was causing it. And X-Fi is my new sound card. The original that came with the PC was Creative Soudblaster Live (SE) I think. Still, I don't understand why sound card caused video server react in such a way. Things may be different once I reactivate my original hard drive. So, I will keep you posted. :whistling:

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Thanks so much for posting the update!

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Ok. First of all, it seems that I jumped to conclusions. X-Fi Card had nothing to do with the issue. When the new Hard Drive and New Windows were installed, CLick TO DVD did not cause video server to crash. And there was no problem with TUner. There was something else, not sure what. Now, when I put back the old Hard Drive, everything returned to how it was before. Stuff crashing regardless of whether or not I disable sound card.

Can someone else take a shot at troubleshooting this issue? I am sure there is a conflict and not hardware failure, since it worked with clean Windows installation. Please :whistling:

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts

Ok. First of all, it seems that I jumped to conclusions. X-Fi Card had nothing to do with the issue. When the new Hard Drive and New Windows were installed, CLick TO DVD did not cause video server to crash. And there was no problem with TUner. There was something else, not sure what. Now, when I put back the old Hard Drive, everything returned to how it was before. Stuff crashing regardless of whether or not I disable sound card.

What do you mean? Did you re-enable the X-Fi card with the new hard drive? If so, what happened?

I stand by my previous suggestions:

1. From Post #4, use MSCONFIG to troubleshoot the software that starts with Windows to troubleshoot which one is conflicting with Click to DVD.

2. From Post #9, repair your Windows installation (based on your comments in Post #8). Or better, back up your hard drive, format and clean install Windows.