Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacing Vaio PCV-RZ32G Mobo/CPU for C2D

• Please log in to reply

JimB

JimB

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
I want to replace the remaining OEM innards of my Vaio so I can upgrade the processor and graphics. (My signature lists what I've already put into the Vaio.) I like most of the preloaded media center applications- Click to DVD, Gigapocket,etc. How would I go about keeping them since it came with no OS or backup discs?

1. Do I need to get a new retail copy of XP, or can I use someone elses discs, and enter the license # from the back of the VAIO at the registration? (it's listed as home edition on the sticker.)

2. Can I re-use the drives and burners, case, and PSU I have in it now? I'd love to reduce the cost, but I don't know about the compatability of the drives and burners. I presume the PSU is fine bc I'm not going to run SLI, but I'd like to get some feedback to verify that.

My budget for a whole new rebuild is about $1200 or $1300 depending on which CPU I choose.
Gigabyte 965p-S3 -$110 newegg
C2D either E6400 or E6600 -$225/$317 newegg
OCZ Gold 2GB PC6400- $231 newegg
BFG 7950GTOCE 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 OC vid card- $259- newegg
Thermaltake V5000C case- $90 newegg
Antec SmartPower 2.O 500 W PSU- $70 newegg
Western Dig. WD1600JS 160GB SATA drive- $53 newegg
XP Media Center w upgrade coupon- $110 newegg

Any suggestions on parts? or answers for the above questions?
Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Officially, the XP licence that came with the machine dies with the machine. In some cases its tied to the hardware inside the original machine. Many people find that if they keep the case, they can use the licence stuck on the side of the case and it will activate and work with no problems. You can beg, borrow, blag or pinch an XP Home OEM from a friend.

2) Yes. The PSU will probably be cheap underpowered garbage that only powers the original hardware, therefore something meaty will upset it.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
a 500w antec doesn't sound like garbage to me...

drives and burners should work, just make sure new mobo has enough connections for them. (which, unless you have 6 drives and burners, it should)

using someone else's disks is illegal and probably won't work, so we shouldn't be recommending that now should we neil?

best bet is to pony up a few bucks and buy a new copy. then you will also have an upgrade coupon for Vista.

JimB

JimB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Any advice on how to keep progs?