Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multimedia Audio Controller Driver

• Please log in to reply

brettxw

brettxw

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Gateway laptop

Motherboard Chipset : ATI Radeon Xpress 200M, AMD Hammer.

Multimedia ATI SB400 AC'97 Audio Controller.

Where can I download the M.A.C Driver for this? Brother is harassing me and I want him to shut up haha. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi brettxw!

What is the model number of your Gateway laptop?

Fenor

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
MX7120

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Try this link. Its the driver for the ATI chipset driver for the Gateway MX7120 which (should) include the audio driver you need. Let me know if it's not the right one. BTW this is the XP driver. If you need the driver for a different version of Windows, then either let me know or just go to Gateways website yourself, select the notebook model & OS to download it.

http://support.gatew...s...&type=10094

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Really? I was going to do that in the first place but didnt think i would have the audio drivers. [bleep]. If this works Im going to be mad haha.

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Sorry, that didnt work either.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK. Try this one then (ATI Radeon Xpress 200M driver for XP Pro/Home) :

http://ati.amd.com/s...egrated-xp.html

It claims to include the WDM drivers & multimedia stuff.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
He needs the sound driver, not the motherboard drivers I believe. At least I believe M.A.C. stands for Multimedia Audio Controller. You can download your sound card driver at the link below:

http://support.gatew.....: 5.10.4889.0

Fenor

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
We did the soundcard driver from that link, we got an error saying it doesnt support the card.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Well that's the only sound card driver listed for your model laptop on the gateway site. Go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc. A new window will appear. In your next reply, list anything that has a yellow ! or ? in front of it.

Fenor

Advertisements

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
So I called Gateway, they told me to go to the links you guys have provided. I told them I'v edone that 100 times and I get an error saying the pc doesnt support it. Their response "Well then we dont support it" so by now im getting an attitude "how am i suppose to use a computer you sold me that you guys DONT support anything" and they tell me to bring it back to where I bought and they should be able to help me. Gateway sucks!

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
You could have just said check your device manager :-p haha..

Anyways, this is what has errors

Ethernet controller (yet the computer works on the net)
Mulitmedia Audio Controller
PCI modem

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Lets try forcing the driver to be installed and see what happens. Gateway software has been known to be bad, like their tech support as you found out. :whistling:

Go into the Device Manager and right click MULTIMEDIA AUDIO CONTROLLER and choose Update Driver. The Hardware Update Wizard window will now appear. Select NO NOT AT THIS TIME and click NEXT. On the next screen select INSTALL FROM A LIST OR SPECIFICE LOCATION (ADVANCED) and click NEXT. On the next screen select DON'T SEARCH. I WILL CHOOSE THE DRIVER TO INSTALL and click NEXT. On the next screen click on the HAVE DISK button. The Install From Disk window will now appear. Click on the BROWSE button. Navigate to C:\cabs\D00502-002-001\WDM and select the file STHDA.INF and click OPEN. Then click OK. Hopefully you will not receive a message saying The Specified location does not contain information about your hardware. If it does let me know, if not keep going. You May receive a window popup saying that the driver hasn't been certified by Windows. Just click CONTINUE INSTALLATION. Once it's installed, reboot your computer and see if the sound works.

Fenor

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Man, we were going so good too. Unfortunately, I got that error. Hopefully you got something else :whistling:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Do you happen to have any of the CD's that came with the laptop? If you do, put the cd(s) in one at a time in the CD-ROM drive and try to update the driver for the M.A.C.

Fenor