Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display adaptor not working

• Please log in to reply

taggs

taggs

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi Folks!
I have a problem with my monitor. I think it is probably the display adaptor though.

Suddenly it stopped working a few days ago and displayed a "no signal" error.

Luckily i have another monitor connection which appears to be connected directly to the motherboard. The monitor works through this to an extent. It is slow, sluggish and refreshes very slowly. Apart from this, the monitor works fine.

My monitor is a Neovo F-417. I have downloaded the driver (not yet installed) but I may need a driver for the graphics adapter but I cannot remember which graphics card I have. I am positive it is nvidia but no idea of the number. The card does not seem to be listed anywhere.

In Device Manager, there seems to be a conflict under:

Other Devices/Video Controller

There is a yellow question mark with a smaller yellow exclamation mark.

The properties for this show:

General

Device Type: Other devices
Manufacturer: Unknown
Lcation: PCI bus 1 device 0 function 0

Under device status is displayed:

This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

Driver

Driver Provider: Unknown

Driver Date: Not available

Driver Version: Not available

Digital Signer: Not digitally signed

Details

A lot under this, I will give the details for Device instance ID:

PCI/VEN_1106&DEV_3108&SUBSYS_74101462&REV_01\4&83D6234&0&0008

Resources

Resource settings:
This device isn't using any resources because it has a problem.

Please help me. I use my computer a lot.

Cheers!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The conflict you refer to is no doubt the two graphics controllers. The integrated one should have been disabled in the BIOS setup when the AGP video card was installed. On most motherbords this is done automatically when the AGP slot is used, but on yours it may have to be done manually. The original video port which you say works should not be working at all while the AGP port is occupied.

Go into the BIOS and look for the entry which allows you to disable the integrated video. That may be all that's required.

taggs

taggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks.
I will change it in a minute. I am posting this just in case I make a mess of things. The relevant settings that I could find are:

Advanced Chipset Features

AGP Mode: Automatic
AGP Fast Write: Enabled
AGP Aperture Size: 128MB
Onchip VGA Frame Buffer Size: 64MB
CPU Direct Access Onchip VGA FB: Disabled
Boot Device Select: CRT

(There is then about 5 options about TV type. I don't now if this is relevant.)

PNP/PCI Configuration

Primary Graphics Adaptor: AGP

If this doesn't work, it may be a while before I can get back.

Oh dear, here goes.

I think the option you advised to change is:

CPU Direct Access Onchip VGA FB: Disabled

I am going to change

Primary Graphics Adaptor: AGP

to

Primary Graphics Adaptor: PCI

taggs

taggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I made the change. The graphics adaptor slot is still not working. I take it this is the AGP slot. The other adaptor is still working but just as sluggish as before. Reckon this is the PCI slot? In fact nothing seems to have changed.

Sorry about this - I should have mentioned this before but when I turn on my computer it detects that there is new hardware and asks to install it. Originally I thought this was detecting that I was using the integrated port. Could it be detecting that there is an AGP graphics card? Unfortunately I cannot find the install disk. I downloaded a driver f-417_e.exe - I have not installed this yet should I?

Also, I will reset the change I made earlier.

I reset the changes and found the drivers and documentation for my machine. Unfortunately the exact graphics card I have is not listed on the docs but I am positive it is nvidia. *Update* I am now sure the card is a radeon 9200.

I will take the graphics card out to see if there is any reference on the card itself. Could this be a total card failure? I know this can happen - if this is the case do I just have to replace the card?

*Update*

I took out the graphics card and cleaned it up a bit. It is a radeon 9200 256MB DDR TVO as it says on the card. I inserted the card ensuring it was fully pushed in, screwed it onto the case and switched my computer on. It still is not working. The computer just does not seem to recognise that there is a graphics card installed.

Would this explain why the other graphics connection is working. If the computer cannot detect the AGP card it will not know to disable the other connection automatically.

There is still a conflict with the graphics display. In device manager under Other devices It displays a black i on a yellow background to the left of Video Controller (VGA Compatible).

Under Properties it says:

Device Type: Unknown
Manufacturer: Unknown

Under device status it says:

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

If I can get this display to work better, that would be fine but I would rather get the AGP adaptor back.

Cheers.

Edited by taggs, 05 January 2007 - 08:02 PM.