Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ram upgrade

• Please log in to reply

maxjurisdiction

maxjurisdiction

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently bought 2x1Gig PC3200 ddr400 ram on ebay for my ga-k8ns ultra-939 motherboard and cannot get my computer to boot with it i have tried each stick individually in slot 1, both side by side in slot 1 and 2 and also slot 1 and 3 and when i turn on my computer i can hear the drives initializing and my hard drive spining my fans all operate even on my video card but it sends nothing to the screen when i put the old ram back in (2x256 ddr333 origanally in slot 1and 3) it boots as normal. also if i use just one of the old in slot 1 it will boot. if i mix old with new in different combinations of slots i still get no video.

Do i have incompatible ram or what could be my problem?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
put your old ram in and go to this link to see what memory your motherboard supports...you probably bought the wrong ram for your system...

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

maxjurisdiction

maxjurisdiction

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i wasnt able to use the scanner but when i put in my specs it said

# USB Support: 2.x Compliant
# Error Detection Support: Non-ECC only
# Chipset: nVidia nForce3
# Supported DRAM Types: DDR SDRAM only
# Module Types Supported: Unbuffered only
# Max Unbuffered DDR SDRAM: 4096MB
# Max Component Density: 1024
# 184-pin DIMM Banking: 4 (2 banks of 2)
# Graphics Support: AGP 8X

can anyone tell me what i missed ie how my ram is incompatible what should i look for or exchange my ram for to fix this?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you need to get ...
unbuffered...non ECC...PC3200...ALSO CALLED DDR 400...or PC 4000...
stay with the major brands....crucial...corsair (my favorite)... Kingston...OCZ...PQI...

you can SOMETIMES mix brands...but to avoid any potential problems...get all your memory the same speed ...in your case PC 3200..and from the same manufacture...