Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Viao PSU

• Please log in to reply

PHILLIPV

PHILLIPV

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
It seems I have a catch 22 here... Sony told me they only offer one 300w PSU which comes stock on all there computers and is unique so not other manufactures offer a upgraded PSU...I was wanting to upgrade my x300 graphics card to a x1600 and dont have enough juice...does anyone else have this problem or a solution.

Advertisements

JimB

JimB

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Forget what sony says. I have a Vaio rz 32g with an Antec 500w PSU. Get a hobby hacksaw (its a mini hacksaw- sold at any hardware store) , a decent pair of gloves (watch out for sharp edges), and take out all the components. As long as the height and width of the PSU fit the space, the depth is irrelevant because any extra will stick out of the back of your computer. Enlarge the opening in the back to accomodate the PSU and voila, you are up and running.

A word of caution: do a good job or your case won't close properly. I butchered mine using a hacksaw blade, some tin snips and an assortment of ironworking tools. Seriously. I was working with an ironworking unit for the summer. Brute strength works, but it's, well...brutal. But anyway, as long as you are cool with 1 or 2 inches of PSU hanging out of the back of your case, you are only limited by the width and height parameters of the PSU shelf. I cut the bottom of the PSU compartment mostly out bc my PSU has a fan pointing down. So now the only way one can tell I have modded the case is my cockeyed side panel and the PSU in the back.

I have been running my Vaio with a 500W Antec PSU for my EVGA 6800GT for going on 2 years now with no problems. So, don't listen to Sony. Get your hobby hacksaw, use a little patience and premeasuring, and get your game on!

JimB

JimB

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
http://picasaweb.goo.../VaioPSUUgprade

Edited by JimB, 05 January 2007 - 09:49 AM.