Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 Popups occur each time I boot up system

• Please log in to reply

truder

truder

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hello,

Hoping you can help me out.

Each time I boot up my system I receive 2 messages.

The 1st is Windows Installer states it's Preparing to install. The heading is Microsoft Office XP Professional. I then receive a message inside the pop up sayng the feaure you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM, insert Microsoft office xp Professional Disk. I don't have a disk.

The 2nd message says the following by Windows Defender: Application failed to initialize: 0x800106ba. A problem caused windows defender service to stop.

How can I stop these two things from happening each time I boot up my computer?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Truder

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hello there.
well it seems that it wants to install Microsoft office and Windows Defender is somehow corrupted.

We can disable these through Msconfig.

Click Start
Click Run
type "msconfig" (no quotes please)
Go to the start up tab and look for anything to do with Microsoft Office and Windows defender and uncheck them than reboot. Let me know if this helps.

-ultimateslacker2

truder

truder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hello,

I went to the startup tab as directed and could only find headings with Microsoft Office I unchecked it an when I rebooted I now receive the following message:

You have used the System Configuration Utliilty to make changes to the way Windows starts. The System Config Utlility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, casing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts. Choose the normal startup mode on the general tab to start windows normally and undo the changes you made using the system config utility. What should I do next.

Also I saw nothing to do with Windows Defender so I still see this message at each startup.

Thanks for your help.

Truder

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You received that window because you unchecked an item in the startup tab and are now running in selective startup mode. Just check the box to not display this message again and click OK. That window will now no longer appear when you start up your computer.

I will let ultimateslacker2 continue to help you with your other problem, I just wanted to point this out to you.

Fenor

truder

truder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Thanks for your help Fenor. As far as the other problem goes I uninstalled Windows Defender from my computer. I will download it from online later and see what happens.

Thanks Fenor & Ultimateslacker2

Truder

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Microsoft Office isnt necessary at start up, so thats why we unchecked it.

So you uninstalled Windows Defender. Did you reboot and get the same message?

truder

truder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Yes, I uninstalled windows defender and now when I reboot neither of the 2 popups occur anymore. Windows Defender is just a program to check to see if I have any viruses correct? Do I really need to download it again?

Thanks for your help.

Truder

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hello,

If you do not have a anti-virus, you should pick up a free copy of AVG. Its awesome and its free!
http://free.grisoft....ree_432a904.exe

You do not have to have Windows Defender, but it is a good program to stop other kinds of spyware and other baddies.

If you do not have a copy of Ad Aware SE or Spybot, you should also pick these up from these following links.
http://www.download....4-10045910.html - AD AWARE SE
http://www.download....2-10122137.html - Spybot

*these are well known programs they are safe and they have very good reviews so if you do not have these, you should pick them up as well as a spyware protector such as Spyware Blaster
Here is the download link to spyware blaster http://www.javacools...areblaster.html

Hope all of this helps to you.

-ultimateslacker2