Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trouble connecting to videos online

• Please log in to reply

sheenie

sheenie

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi. I sometimes cannot connecting to videos online. Sometimes it works, other times it kicks me off the internet and i have to restart my router and other times a window pops up and nothing happens. How can I go about fixing this. It sometimes doenst work on websites such as cnn.com or yahoo.com. Thanks for your help!

-Shaheen

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Please provide some additonal information to assist us in resolving your issue.

1. Confirm your operating system. If XP, is it Home or Pro, and SP2?

2. What Antivirus and Firewall do you have installed? Are they up-to-date? Do you scan regularly?
** It's a good idea to update the virus definitions for your AV software and run a full system scan. If anything suspicious is found, please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

3. What type of internet do you have? DSL, Cable, Dial-up? Wired or wireless?

4. Does your internet go through a router?

5. Has this problem always existed? If not, can you determine when it started?
** If possible, try a System Restore to a point prior to the problem showing up. To do this, click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore.

6. What happened with your system just prior to the problem starting? Did you install any new software or update your AV or firewall?

7. Clean out temporary internet files and cookies. To do this, open Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, Internet Options. Click Delete Cookies and Delete Files (in the middle of that screen).

8. Check the Event Viewer for any Errors or Warnings that show up for the same time the video error happens. To open the Event Viewer, click Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer. You'll see three categories on the left: Application, Security, and System. Look under Application and System. If you see any Warning or Error events that have the same date and time as the video problem, open the event, click the "copy to clipboard" button (under the down arrow), and paste it in this thread.

Please post back.

sheenie

sheenie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The OS is XP Professional SP2

I have a Firewall installed. But I havent ran an AV in awhile.

I have Cable Modem and its wired through a router. Both my computers have this problem and both have the same OS.

The computer did not always have this problem. It started happening when I moved to this new town after I got married and hooked it up to my husband's router.

I cleaned out the temp files.

I did not find any errors or warnings at the time the video was trying to play.
But on Firefox, I get the video window to actually open to start playing the video then I get an error:

Illegal Operation in Plugin
Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library
The plugin performed an illegal operation. You are strongly advised to restart navigator.

On IE I dont get any error messages.

Thanks for your help.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
What versions is IE?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Is it IE that has the problem or Firefox?

sheenie

sheenie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
IE 6.0
I have problems with both. Neither of them work.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
For Firefox, look at this link: http://kb.mozillazin...a_Player_plugin

Here's the pertinent part:
This can be caused by having JavaScript disabled. To enable java script:
Firefox: Click "Tools → Options → Content (or Web Features) → Enable JavaScript".
Mozilla Suite: Click "Edit → Preferences → Advanced → Scripts & Plug-ins → Enable JavaScript for → Navigator"
Make sure that any extensions you might have that can block JavaScript are not blocking the site in question or are disabled. These include NoScript[2] and Adblock Plus.

For Internet Explorer:
I'm not finding anything specific to IE, but if it's Java related in Firefox, check the Java Scripting setting in IE.
In IE, click Tools menu, Internet Options, Security tab, Custom Level button. Scroll down to the next to last section (Scripting). Is Java Scripting set to Disabled, Enabled, or Prompt? Try Enabled.

Please post the results, good or bad.