Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems Installing Software

• Please log in to reply

acmatters

acmatters

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
For Christmas I received Cosmi Greeting Cards Deluxe and Scrapbooks Deluxe. This will not install on my PC. I contacted the manufacturer, and they instructed me to temporarily close any extra applications and services running in the background in Windows XP. They also advised me to disable my firewall and antivirus as they said sometimes these can get in the way of installation. I did all of this and it still will not install. The automatic installation window does not come up nor does it work by clicking Start, Run and typing in D:\cdsetup. It grinds away like it's going to, then I get a window telling me to insert disk in drive D. And nothing happens.

It does install on my husband's PC, so I know it's not the software ... it has to be something blocking it in my PC. I've re-contacted the mfr, but they haven't responded. Anyone have any suggestions as to what else I could try?

Thanks!

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Good morning.

With that Greeting Card CD in the drive, let's try to browse the CD. Right click the Start button, Explore, scroll down to the CD Drive in the left pane, click it once. Do you see the contents in the right pane? If so, can you open any of the folders?

Try any other install CD you might have available in your CD drive. You don't have to actually complete the install, just test to see if the install will start.

Please post the results.

acmatters

acmatters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
When I browsed the Greeting Card CD, I got nothing in the right pane. I inserted Microsoft Office install CD and got nothing with that as well when I explored it. It also did not start up automatically like it normally does.

Thanks for your help!

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
It sounds like your CD ROM drive has died. Good news is they're replacable and reasonably priced. Of course, if your system is under warranty, call the technical support department to have them replace it for you.

acmatters

acmatters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I had a feeling that's where this was leading. Thanks for helping to diagnose the problem. It's off to Best Buy I go.

Cheers!