Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Update question

• Please log in to reply

McKnight

McKnight

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I recently unistalled the newest J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 10 (I believe) because my computer was acting up; so I thought this was a possible cause. Computer seems to run now; however, I still have J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update/s 4, 6, 8, 9 as well as Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_03 on my computer. I was wondering which one (maybe all) I should keep, and which one/s I should unistall?

Thank you for your time...

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I noticed the same thing on my machine. So I unistalled all of the older ones and kept the newest one. I havent had any problems running java apps.

I am sorry I cant get you a more professional answer but I have done it without what I see as any adverse affects.

McKnight

McKnight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Thanks... what was/is the latest Jave update that you have installed?

Thanks again...

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
The only one I have installed now is:

J2SE Runtime Enviorment 5.0 Update 9

McKnight

McKnight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Thanks again... I will unistall every update but 9.

And one more thing if you don't mind:

Is Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_03 the actual Java program/component and thus, should not be uninstalled?

Thanks...

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I would keep that one. It is probably a Java install with more development components. The update 9 is strictly what I would call the "player" side that allows you to view java apps. I see no reason to unisntall that unless you know for a fact you dont need anything than something to view java apps.

McKnight

McKnight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Thanks for all of your help...

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Your welcome! :whistling: