Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless problems

• Please log in to reply

klockdoc

klockdoc

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I have a Belkin wireless card (the ethernet card with the antenna) in my desktop PC. It has been working over the last six months, but yesterday, it would not connect to the Internet.

I am running XP Pro with SP2 installed. I checked the device manager and doubled clicked the network card. It says the Belkin card is working properly.

When I checked the connections, It shows NO WIRELESS CONNECTIONS available. Before, it would show the one family connection, plus about 3 more from around the neighborhood.

The wireless router is a Netgear. I have tried unplugging the modem, the router and even restarting the computer. I have tried refresh button and repair.

I have another PC desktop that is linked to the router, but through a normal ethernet cable. It works ok. I can still get on the Internet through that.

I am not using the Belkin utility for managing the network. I let Windows configure this function.

Any suggestions on what to try next?

Edited by klockdoc, 05 January 2007 - 10:02 AM.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Do you have a hotspot near you, like at the public library, a college, Starbucks, etc? You could take your laptop there and see what happens.

Alternatively, do you have (or have friends who have) other wireless devices, like a PDA or Palm, that you could test on your wireless router?

klockdoc

klockdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
As indicated in message, it is a desktop PC hooked up with ethernet style wireless card. Not a laptop.

I tried my daughter laptop and it connected fine through the router.

So I figure something must be wrong in the computer? What, I do not know.

klockdoc

klockdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
New input. I connected another ethernet card the other day to try to link my sons XBOX 360 through the internet so he could play live. I could not get them to work together, so I ran an ethernet cable from the router to the ethernet card and "hard wired" it. We still used the wireless card to get onto the Internet and it seemed to work fine.

This has been working fine for about a week before I started having the current problem. Just to try something, I tried to manually assign the IP address, but that didn't work. I tried CMD and ipconfig and it came back as media loss. I then went in to network connections and disabled the ethernet card. Then the wireless started working.

So I guess the problem must be in the new LINKSYS card I purchased?

What do you think?

I also just tried to enable the card again and it said a major problem occurred and windows is shutting down to prevent damage to the computer. I also lost the internet again. I then disabled it and the connection came back.

any thoughts?

Return the ethernet card? Or, something else wrong?

Thanks

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I do apologize for getting your set up wrong. That's what I get trying to work and do G2G at the same time :whistling:

Let me recap and see if I understand:
You have a desktop with Belkin wireless card - it can not connect all of a sudden.
You have another dekstop with a standard ethernet cable connection that connects fine.
You installed another wireless card on an xbox that would not connect - had to run cable for the card. ** Is this the Linksys card?
Your daughter's laptop connected fine on a wireless connection.

Is that accurate?

If your daughter's laptop can connect wireless on your router, then the router's okay.

The Belkin card had been working then just quit. They do die sometimes. But also check for any configuration changes to your firewall and/or antivirus software. It's possible some update has changed something important.

Did anything else change on that computer the day before the Belkin card quit working? Did you install anything new, software, hardward, or any kind of updates?

Two other things to try, to rule out software conflicts:
1. Do a Windows XP System Restore to the day prior to the Belkin card quitting. To do a System Restore, click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Follow the prompts.

2. Boot into Safe Mode with Networking. While starting your computer tap the F8 key once every second during the memory count up, or during the system spash screen where you see the system maker's name (HP, COMPAQ, DELL....etc.). This will result in a text based menu. Use the curors/arrorw keys to navigate to SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING and hit enter.

Does the Belkin card work in either of these situations?

I'm not clear on where the Linksys card was installed. Please clarify.