Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No Power to My CPU

• Please log in to reply

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Hiya Everyone!

WoW...5 days into the New Year and I am back.. :whistling:

My former computer, which is running XP Home and was running great has decided to just up and die?
It's been functioning as a spare in our basement gym therefore hasn't been on on a daily basis..I've been trying to remember to turn it on so the Anti-V updates. I think it was last used probably the week before Christmas.

Ok so today I needed to print out some workout sheets and I turned the computer on..the screen came on, the printer came on, the CPU is dead.

I checked all the connections and plugs at the back of the CPU and in the power bar...everything seems fine..I unplugged the CPU and plugged it into another power source (that was working a lamp) and it is still a no go.

Can a CPU just up and die a quiet death without being touched or showing any problems?

HELP Where do I look now?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello again, Certifiably Blonde...

When you turn the machine on, is there any indication at all that power is making it through the motherboard? Do any lights flash...do the fans spin up...anything that may indicate there is power to the machine? Does the machine beep or otherwise indicate an error?

wannabe1

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Thankyou for your prompt reply Wannabe1. Nope the CPU is as dead as a doorknob!

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 05 January 2007 - 05:51 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The next thing I'd check is for a switch on the power supply. Then try a new cord to plug it in. There's a possibility this is the motherboard, but I would think the power supply is the likely suspect.

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Thankyou Wannabe...Ill check it when I get a chance and let you know whats happening...again...much appreciated my friend (smiles).

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
RuT ROH!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but LIFE intervened. Ok...last week I checked the cord..it works...so I took out the power box and took it to a computer place and asked them to test it...it was dead...so I bought a new one (all happy'n stuff...easy right?)...NOPE....the CPU is still dead as a doorknob...do motherboards just die without warning??? or is there something else I am missing...BLEH! (sometimes I just hate computers)

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
R.I.P.

She's done...the power supply was replaced, the switch checked which leads us to the motherboard...

We've been advised by various sources that replacing a motherboard without replacing the RAM etc etc just isnt worth the config problems you will face and albeit that this was a fantastic, awesome computer, the fact of the matter is it was 7 years old and its just not worth putting alot of money into.

Thanks for your replies...much appreciated.

EmperorWoodrow

EmperorWoodrow

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
i'll play taps for your computer...da da daaaa....

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Thanks Emp!