Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

best way toSynchronize two computers (desktop and laptop)

• Please log in to reply

mesquitetree

mesquitetree

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:whistling: Hi, am very novice computer user with the following: have a desktop and a laptop. Have come up recently with the problem of keeping them the same. What to do? Have downloaded new power toy from Microsoft called Sync toy. Performed everything right to get info from ist computer to the flashdrive.
Now questions are: how to now put this info on second computer: this is where I am getting stumped. I have the flashdrive loaded on second computer(afterdownloading with sync toy on first computer) What do I do to update, say, my documents on laptop?? What do I open, what buttons do I punch, etc. ( I am very familiar with how to update quicken for in its program is restore backup, but how to do this with my document folder which is on a flashdrive waiting to update or overwrite my documents on laptop???
Thank you for any help. MD

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go.

I have never used SyncToy but here is an informational link:

http://www.pchell.co...t/synctoy.shtml

Let me know if this helps.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go!

Are your desktop and laptop computers connected via a home network at any time? If so, here's a way to keep files synchronized between them - Microsoft XP Briefcase.

Guest_jjsmith_*

Guest_jjsmith_*
Thanks for the find. My attempt at searching the databases was just not good enough, but thats okay you have pointed me in a good direction. Thanks

I have found XP Briefcase to do just what I need, here is the link:
http://www.geekstogo...mp;hl=briefcase

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Good to hear. Thanks for letting us know. :whistling: