Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What do you need for a new hardrive in an enclosure

• Please log in to reply

tom123

tom123

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am looking to purchase an internal hardrive to put in an enclosure with a usb2.0 connection to use with my laptop. When looking I have found that some hardrives are sold OEM (Much cheaper), which I understand as having no cables or software.
My Question is if buying an enclosure do I need cables? also do I need software? could I download free software if needed?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi tom123...

Most enclosures will include the cables you need to connect it to your machine. Any formatting required for the drive to be used can usually be accomplished through Windows. It should be just a matter of installing the HDD into the enclosure and connecting it to the machine. Windows should then detect it, though it will probably show as unallocated space and will require a format before you can use it.

wannabe1

tom123

tom123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
So its ok to go and buy an oem drive and and enclosure you think?
Cheers for quick reply.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
As long as the connectors will match, it's been my experience that the drive's make does not make a difference. Just make sure that both are ATA or both are SATA.

tom123

tom123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
marvellous will go ahead and by me thinks. Any suggestions for a good 320gb hard drive and a good enclocure?

tom123

tom123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thankyou for your replys will be starting a new thread on help with which enclosure to buy that is compatible with the hard drive I think I will be buying.
:whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I like Western Digital HDD's, but there are many good ones on the market. Maxtor is a pretty good bet, too, for affordable large capacity drives...you might look into their line of external drives. It may be just as cheap to go that way unless you are looking for the ability to "look at" many different drives...the enclosure would allow you to connect other drives to the machine at will.

Enclosures are a matter of price and personal preference...I really don't have a suggestion for you here. Look for one you like that's in your price range. :whistling:

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
There are lots of enclosures to choose from. Get one with a fan and power supply. I have 4 such units, three are made by Ads and cost around $20.00. Do a search for hard drive enclosures and start shopping. Reading reviews will help you decide.