Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer to Computer File Transfer

• Please log in to reply

aclpro

aclpro

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello, We operate a small business. None of us are very computer savy. We are replaceing an old pc with a new one. THe old machine has Windows 95 a usb port and a 3 1/2 floppy drive and a cd rom read ability only. The new machine uses XP has a cd read and writer no floppy drive. Can the 2 pc's be networked together so we can transfer files from the old machine to the new one? Or do I need to use a USB storage device to transfer files. All help will be appriciated.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
It sounds like you do not have your computers connected via ethernet cable presently.

Since the 95 machine has a USB port, you could purchase a new USB (external) hard drive to move the files to.

-- OR --

If the hard drive in the 95 machine is stable, I'd suggest pulling it out and either installing it into the new XP machine (as a secondary drive) or purchasing an external enclosure for it. That way, you have the entire hard drive available. You can move the files to the new hard drive, or leave them on the old one and use it for file storage. Or after moving all the files off it, you could format the drive and use it for backup space. Oh, the possibilities!

Does the 95 machine have an ethernet port? It looks like a phone port, but larger. If so, you can purchase a cross-over cable for an electrical supply shop or computer shop, and direct connect them.

Hope this helps.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The easist method is, as LindaGail says, install the win 95 HD in the new computer as a slave and transfer all data to the new drive. I do contract repairs on some small businesses computers and they never let any hard drive leave their business. I even have one company that will only let me wipe their old drives and prove they are wiped clean while i am there at their business. Then they still usually destroy the drives by burning them in a furnace. I don't know why they are so paranoid but as long as they pay me they can do any thing they want.

SRX660