Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

game disconnections

• Please log in to reply

Penchupla

Penchupla

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I figured it was something with the router so here I am...

Me and my brother both have internet on are comps and both can play the game at the same time but if were in the same game room one of us gets disconnected. I thought it might be some sort of ip conflict but I don't really know...

The router is a linksys wireless-b but we both run on cables

One more question, I've heard that linksys arn't good routers is it true? if so what router is good?

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Penchupla!

The reason one of you gets kicked, is because you both have the same IP address and when two IP addresses that are the same are detected, one of them is automatically disconnected. This is a counter-cheating method used by alot of companies. There is no way around this. It sucks I know, I've been in the same boat before, but there is really nothing you can do about it but deal with it. There is no problem with your router.

Just for clarification, your external IP address is what I'm referring to and that is the same. Your cable/dsl modem has an external IP address, but each of your computers on the network have their own internal ip, which of course are different. So when each of your computers go out on the Internet, they are both sharing the same external IP address that has been assigned to your cable/dsl modem.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
As for your question about Linksys routers. I have a WRT54G wireless router and it sucks when set up as a gateway (ie the computer that gives out IP addresses). What I have set up is I got a cheap dynex router and configured my linksys router to be a router (meaning that the router itself gets an IP address from the dynex router).

How I have this set up is I have a cable running from my cable modem to the dynex router's WAN port. I then have a cable running from one of the numbered 1-4 ports on the dynex router going into a numbered 1-4 port on my linksys router. It doesn't matter which number you plug the cable into on each of the routers. I then am able to connect perfectly with my wireless connection. Before doing this, the router loved to kill the internet connection at least once every couple of days if not more.

This solved a major headache, considering my computer is two floors below the router, so I have to go up (and down) 26 steps each time I changed a setting and wanted to test.

I have never had a problem with a linksys router acting as a gateway when it wasn't a wireless router.

Hope that answers your question. :whistling:

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 05 January 2007 - 07:37 PM.