Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Issues

• Please log in to reply

-apeX

-apeX

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I currently have 2 hard drives, a Western Digital Raptor (74GB 10,000rpm) and a new Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (500GB 7,200rpm). I have windows installed on my Raptor as well as my games, and the Barracuda was a recent buy, to use as storage. The 2 harddrives work fine, except when I transfer files between the two of them. When the transfer occurs, my PC starts to lock up and slow down. The CPU usage fluctuates between 90-99% usage when this happens. I am not running any kind of raid format, just wanted the secondary as a storage device. The transfer not only makes my computer act sluggish, but it also seems to be pretty slow.

My setup:
ASUS A8V-E deluxe motherboard
AMD 64 3700+
ATI x800 XL
1 GB Kingston PC3200 RAM
1 WD Raptor
1 Seagate Barracuda

Please help! (Please be precise and explain, as I have never worked with something like this.)

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements