Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB Ports won't run at full speed

• Please log in to reply

Samjula

Samjula

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hi, i recently received a brand new antec nine hundred case and swapped all the parts from my current case into the new one. Everything went smoothly other than one thing. None of my USB Ports, on my motherboard or the ones on the top of the case run at full speed. Whenever i plug my 54mbps usb lan adapter into any of these ports a message comes up saying "this high speed device can run at a faster rate if plugged into a high speed port" It also says that there is no high speed usb host controller installed on my computer when i know that this is not the case. The adapter only runs at 11mbps now when it used to run at 54 in the same usb port(s). Does anyone know how i can get the usb's to run at their correct higher speed.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
A couple of things to check here.

The USB 2.0 drivers for Windows XP that are on Microsoft Update today only recognize devices using the NEC USB 2.0 EHCI controller chipset. The industry specification for Hi-Speed USB is called the Enhanced Host Controller Interface (EHCI ). That doesn't mean you have to buy an NEC-brand controller. The NEC chipset is fairly ubiquitous in the USB 2.0 world. That chipset is also the first one to be certified by the independent USB 2.0 testing body. Although the USB 2.0 drivers currently available on Microsoft Update only support the NEC controller, there should be an update soon that supports all EHCI-compliant controllers.

If you've made sure that everything on your computer is USB 2.0-compliant, and you're still getting low-speed results, you may not have the right drivers. Symptoms in Windows XP can include error messages such as “The Generic USB Hub is a HI-SPEED USB device and will function at reduced speed when plugged into a non-HI-SPEED port,” or “A HI-SPEED USB device is plugged into a non-HI-SPEED USB hub.” You may also see your high-speed controller card tagged with a yellow exclamation icon in Device Manager. The problem is that although you have a Hi-Speed hub or controller, Windows XP doesn't recognize it.

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;312370

You also need to read this website to see why the USB 2.0 won't work.

http://www.softwarep...sb2-driver.html

SRX660

Samjula

Samjula

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
All the devices under Universal Serial Bus in device manager appear as either "Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller" (4) or "USB Root Hub" (4 of them again). There is no high speed host controller listed when i know that my motherboard (ASUS P5LD2-VM) supports high speed usb 2.0 as i used to use it.

My XP is fully updated, do you know where i can find the correct ASUS USB drivers?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Start here and put your model number in to find enhansed USB support drivers.

http://support.asus....SLanguage=en-us

SRX660

Samjula

Samjula

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
There are no USB drivers on the ASUS site, just downloads for bios, ethernet port and sound. Any other ideas?