Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Nonexistant Sound-hardware related?

• Please log in to reply

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Recently I upgraded my system, (new case, motherboard, and cpu,) everything went fine;except after I re-installed windows xp, and got to my account, i realized that my sound was completely missing. and by "completely missing", i mean "completely missing". there is no sound monitor on the lower-right hand taskbar, as there usually is, and my computer says that there is no sound card installed. which i don't, but i have my speakers plugged into the speaker ports on my motherboard. this worked before i changed my hardware, but now it does not. also before i upgraded i had VIA Audio deck on my computer, and now, when I start up, there is a error message saying that "VIA audio deck could not recognize the skin bitmap, and will now close" i do not know if anybody can help me, but if they can, that would be great.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi dllp117!

Go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc and click OK. In the new window that appears, post any items in your reply that have a yellow ? or ! next to them.

Fenor

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
As I was checking to see if there were any warning signs next to any applications/hardware, I realized that I never ran the motherboard installation cd. i did run it, and i was able to find and install my sound files without any trouble. I felt like an idiot for making such a simple mistake, but, hey, we all do sometimes. thanks for responding, though.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hey it happens to us all. And you're not an idiot. Idiot's are only those that don't ask for help when they need it. And my asking for you to check the Device Manager jogged your memory about you having forgot to install the motherboard installation cd. That definitely makes you NOT an idiot in my book.

Again glad you got it figured out and thanks for letting us know how you solved it. :whistling:

Fenor