Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using two NICs

• Please log in to reply

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Good analagy.

I have been doing some more research on this on some other sites and I am getting some conflicting information.

When I get it sorted I will post it here to fill you all in on my findings.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Monkey Man- You wouldn't happen to be a networking expert, would you? :whistling: Excellent explanation in post #15. When you talk tech, I get excited.
Johanna

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Monkey Man- You wouldn't happen to be a networking expert, would you?

...wouldn't say i do it for a living or anything :whistling:

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Ok, so in the end I have searched the net high and low for the answer to my original question. I found a couple things that seemed promising, but they turned out to be duds.

What's really funny is when I type in what I'm searching for on Google, this very thread comes up.

Regardless, it appears as if the guy who said he could do this was full of crap, as one of you mentioned. The couple things I tried didn't work, and only made it so that I couldn't connect to the net at all.

So unless somebody can come up with something else that may work, I'm calling this one BUSTED.

:whistling:

Edited by RjBass, 15 January 2007 - 11:27 AM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
RjBass,
One thing I have learned working on these tech forums in the last couple of years is that your friend might sincerely believe that he is doing what he says he is, and even if you assemble 25 intelligent experienced people to tell him that he isn't, and why, he won't admit that he doesn't know what he is talking about. I'm not saying your friend will be like this, but, speaking generally, there are many people that are. It's not just the tech forums that this behavior is found; it's on other forums, every corporate structure, political party, church or other organization/club/association. So if your friend can't accept that he is full of it, don't get worked up. You know what you are talking about because you have done your homework. People who investigate and solve problems accomplish great things in life, and people who don't question themselves occasionally never have the pleasure of the Eureka! moments that make life so satisfying.
Cheers from Ohio!
Johanna
ps dsenette- remember that leatherworker who said we didn't know how the Internet worked? He just got thrown out of his last option for online leather conversation, for telling that list owner that she didn't understand how acrylics work with leather. Not only was he wrong, but she makes a lot of money using paints her way, and she hadn't asked for an opinion, especially his.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

ps dsenette- remember that leatherworker who said we didn't know how the Internet worked? He just got thrown out of his last option for online leather conversation, for telling that list owner that she didn't understand how acrylics work with leather. Not only was he wrong, but she makes a lot of money using paints her way, and she hadn't asked for an opinion, especially his.

tool

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

RjBass,
One thing I have learned working on these tech forums in the last couple of years is that your friend might sincerely believe that he is doing what he says he is, and even if you assemble 25 intelligent experienced people to tell him that he isn't, and why, he won't admit that he doesn't know what he is talking about. I'm not saying your friend will be like this, but, speaking generally, there are many people that are. It's not just the tech forums that this behavior is found; it's on other forums, every corporate structure, political party, church or other organization/club/association. So if your friend can't accept that he is full of it, don't get worked up. You know what you are talking about because you have done your homework. People who investigate and solve problems accomplish great things in life, and people who don't question themselves occasionally never have the pleasure of the Eureka! moments that make life so satisfying.
Cheers from Ohio!
Johanna

Very good then.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
If I understood dsenette correctly it could help for playing a lan game at home with one nic conected directly 2 another computer . The one with 2 nic's will b an intermediat one for the single unit going on the net. But for lan use with the main one it will b quicker together.

Is there a unit that switch an rj45 from one connection to another?
I built one my self once and dont have the energy to do it 2 more times.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

If I understood dsenette correctly it could help for playing a lan game at home with one nic conected directly 2 another computer . The one with 2 nic's will b an intermediat one for the single unit going on the net. But for lan use with the main one it will b quicker together.

...this is still a yes and no kind of situation....if configured correctly...you might be able to reduce collisions and such...but in general using a PC with two active nics get's kind of hard to set up and maintain and all that stuff...but it's doable (for instance...if you were using one PC as a bridge for ICS...you COULD use two nics and forgo getting a hub or switch.....though it's n ot neccessary to do it)

Is there a unit that switch an rj45 from one connection to another?
I built one my self once and dont have the energy to do it 2 more times.

there are quite a few options...the easiest 2 are switches and hubs...which basically jut give you a place to plug in the cat cable....you could also use a router for this if you're connecting both to a modem....
for PURE PC to PC connections via ethernet you would need a crossover cable...you'd just plug that into the NIC on both computers and make some configuration changes here and there and you SHOULD be able to initiate connections

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I once built a little unit out of 2 relay's and a 9V batt and a toggle switch weare I had connected lika 3 way switch. one that was comon so it was connected allways to the nic on the pc. and the other 2-> one was 2 a switch on lan A. the other 2 a switch on lan B. I works well by just changing the toggle switch. I made sure to turn off the computer before switching it and then the computer was good in 2 domains. I havent tried to change domain without reset.
To make one with a crossover cable is easy when u connect it 2 a relay u decide what goes were.
To do this (to avoid collition) I'll need two units so that when not in use they will both b connected 2 the router.
I just wonder how much It will speed up the connection. Or is it just a good idea but not verry practical or usefull.

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
:whistling: :blink: :help:
I need help.
Seince I answed on this thread every time I open a different page/thread I get this pop up that says

The server www.geekstogo.com at adlogger requires a username and password.

Warning: This server is requesting that your username and password be sent in an insecure manner (basic authentication without a secure connection).

and asks for name and password.
I put in my user name and password but it is not what it wants.
Who knows what this server needs?????????? :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

If you are using adblock with FF, just add *adlogger* to your block list, you wont see it again.

I dont know for sure what happened, but I believe that Admin is working on getting ready for the forum software update. This may have something to do with that, or it may be something with the new server location.

Either way, it will be worked on when Blair wakes up

ScHwErV

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I'm useing IE7
I deleted al passwords / forms / cookies and forms and closed all windows.

went to eat something...

now it stopped.

thanks for the info :whistling:

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I was about to say. When I run into that sort of problem on various forums I just delete my cookies, restart, and all is well.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Gigabyte has a new nvidia 680i nforce board coming out with quad nicc.

In addition to quad SLI readiness the GA-N680SLI-DQ6 features quad Gigabit LAN, that’s four Gigabit Ethernet ports for those who need it. While quad Gigabit Ethernet ports may sound like overkill, Gigabyte United is able to take advantage of NVIDIA’s Dual-Net teaming technology to combine all four Ethernet connections into a single 4Gbit connection. Lastly in terms of overkill the Gigabyte United GA-N680SLI-DQ6 features a total of ten SATA 3.0Gbps ports—four of which Gigabyte United provides e.SATA brackets for.

essentially they will be able to use some basic traffic shaping techniques to be able to do this.