Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Long start up?

• Please log in to reply

matt.

matt.

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
oK ive pretty much had a long start up since about 3 months into having my computer. its bin around a year now and it seems to be getting longer. i recently formatted and still a long start up. getting very annoying

these r my specs ( ones that i can get )

Video Card- 7900GT/GTO
Hard Drive- Primary one = 80Gig and is working from the old cable. Secondary Hard Drive =120 Sata cable thing
Motherboard-WinFast 6100 k8ma

amd athlon 64 processor
3500+
2.21 GHz, 960 Of Ram

any reason for my slow start up?

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. You're using Windows XP I imagine?

Rather than asking you what programs we can eliminate at startup, I would actually prefer that you send me a startup list. We can generate that list using HijackThis. If you have not already downloaded HijackThis, please do so by clicking here.

Please follow these instructions carefully... Once you download the application, unzip it to its own folder, perhaps its own folder inside My Documents. Next, double-click on the application to load it.

On the first screen click on Open the Misc Tools Section...On the next screen, click on the Generate StartupList log button and post a copy of the log here. You need not check either of the boxes next to this button.

It should save the logfile. Please post that logfile for us, or attach the .txt file to your message.

Once I have this log, I'll be able to tell you what's not really required, and doesn't really do much for your system. Some of these things might be DVD lanuchers, etc. Take note that you don't have to remove what I tell you, I'm just going to suggest some things. Also take note that you might use some of these programs regularly, so you may not want to stop them from loading. For example, if you watch a lot of DVD movies on your computer, then you might consider leaving the DVD launcher program there, just to speed things up. It's all up to you bud.