Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PLEASE HELP ME OUT!

• Please log in to reply

pfmar

pfmar

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Please help me out!!! I really need my computer and I don't have money to send it to a technician!!!

Medion M3 Composer 5200
Intel Pentium 4 Processor 540
Microsoft Windows XP
512MB RAM PC 32
1 MB L2 Cache
800 MHz front side bus
200 GB SATA 7200rpm hard drive
128 MB NVIDIA GeForce FX 5300 PCI Express graphics card

First, the computer started restarting itself at random times. It just restarted itself and then came back and it was all fine.

A couple of days afterwards, after it restarted, the computer came back up normally but not before a blue screen came up saying:
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Technical information:
STOP:0X0000000A (0X00080056, 0X0000001C, 0X0000001, 0X804E1630)

Two days later, turned on the computer and the following came up:
We apologize for the incovenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.
And it also gave me the following options:
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last Known Good Configuration
Start Windows normally
I tried choosing the last one, and it just restarted and the same screen came up again. I tried using every single one of the options and it either just restarted and the same screen came up again or the following came up:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\Drivers\sr.sys (and all the subsequent lines where the same except the last part -sr.sys-)
and so I just had to unplug the computer.

Two days later, unable to do anything else, I used the "Application and Support Disc" provided by Medion.
First, I tried the first option (recovery of start-up files) and got the same screen I had been getting before.
Then, I tried the second option (recovery of system and driver files) and got:
ERROR 505: Specified path (\windows\system32\drivers) does not exist in PQI
So, I decided to try the last option (restoring the factory settings) and it seemed to work. The computer seemed to be working fine. I reinstalled the printer, the antivirus, and was back on the internet.

Six hours later, I turned the computer back on, went to check my e-mail and, all of a sudden, a black screen comes up and the keyboard and mouse are unresponsive. So I just unplugged the computer.
Turned it back on and the screen giving the options (safe mode, lkgc, start windows normally,...) came back on. I chose Safe Mode and it worked. I used the system restore and restored it after I installed the printer but before the windows media player updates were installed.
The computer restarted and it seems to be working fine, but I don't know how much this will last and I am uneasy because I cannot install anything or save any files without fear of having to start from scratch again.

About 8 months ago, the computer was working fine but I started getting a black screen and I could do absolutely nothing. So because it was under warranty, I sent it to the Geek Squad at Best Buy and they gave it back to me working fine telling me that it had been a problem with the memory, but that they had fixed it.
I don't know if the problems that I am getting now have anything to do with the problems I had before.
Because I formatted the computer, but the computer seems to still have problems, I'm guessing it is a hardware problem. But I don't know where to start. What should I do? Would it be still a memory problem? Or is it something else? Please help. Thanks in advance!!!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

pfmar

pfmar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Will the Windows Memory Diagnostic work? Would it work the same?

pfmar

pfmar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I run the Win Mem Diagnostic and there were no errors. Then I run a diagnostic test to see if the hard drive had any problems, but nope. So I guess the problem's in the power supply...