Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best movie of all time?

• Please log in to reply

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
I just got through watching Citizen Kane. From what I read about this movie, it is rated as one of the best, if not the best of all time. I didn't think so. Anyone else see this movie? Thoughts on it?

:whistling:

Excal

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ive never seen citizen kane, its rated in the top 250 of IMDB and its like 20 something so it must be good.

My favourite film though is gattaca http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119177/ just captured my imagination. I first saw it when i was in my early teens and didnt see it again for a long time i looked everywhere for it and finally found it in a bargain bin in Virgin and i must have watched it at least a dozen times since then.

Seen alot of good films lately seem to pick them up and ive been watching them alot this festive season especially at least one a day on average big blockbusters to arthouse films ive found hiding in the internet. Next to a good book there is nothing better than a great film.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I have seen it, not quite so thought provoking but its a decent action film might even have it on VHS somewhere. Fav film with jurt russel in it has to be stargate they are suposed to be making a new one maybe with him in but its a sequel to the film not the tv show.

The Batman

The Batman

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Well Citizen Kane is just a fantastic bit of moviemaking really and I think it deserves all the praise it gets. I think the problem with watching a movie like Kane is that its legacy can get in the way. I mean with something as revered as Kane, I think it's hard for a viewer to not come into a viewing of it without some raised expectations.

For me, probably the best movie of all time, aside from Citizen Kane, would have to be Casablanca. I'd throw in goodies like Star Wars and Superman: The Movie for personal favourate movies of all time too.

Area 51

Area 51

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
My favorite movie of all time if I had to choose would be Blazing Saddles, it still cracks me up as much today as it did in 1974.

jorge33

jorge33

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
This IS "Spinal Tap"!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
citizen kane is a bit hard to watch....i think it's one of those movies that's highly rated by the same token that someone throwing feces at a painting of the virgin mary can sell for millions of dollars....people think it's a great movie because people "who know" say it's a good movie...

my favorite movie would be "one flew over the cuckoo's nest"...AWESOME MOVIE..."i'm the bull goose looney around here"

*dsenette grabs a mop and eyeballs that giant water fountain

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
I honestly don't think I can choose a favorite. There are a few that I just watch over and over again, for different reasons. One of these is The Green Mile. That movie just rocks, plain and simple.

A recent favorite completely surprised me. My daughter bought the new "The Gridiron Gang" starring The Rock. I expected a decent movie, as the Rock is quite good in his action flicks. I was shocked at how excellent this movie was. The acting, the storyline, everything was fantastic. I laughed out loud, I got tears a few times, I even actually yelled a few cheers during the final championship football game scene. :whistling: All around, this movie has got to be one of my all time favorites. :blink:

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

A recent favorite completely surprised me. My daughter bought the new "The Gridiron Gang" starring The Rock. I expected a decent movie, as the Rock is quite good in his action flicks. I was shocked at how excellent this movie was. The acting, the storyline, everything was fantastic. I laughed out loud, I got tears a few times, I even actually yelled a few cheers during the final championship football game scene. :whistling: All around, this movie has got to be one of my all time favorites. :help:

Well, anything starring therock247uk has to be excellent, right?

:blink:

therock247uk

therock247uk

Expert

• Expert
  • 14,672 posts
  • MVP

Advertisements

Wizard

Wizard

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,661 posts
Stewing the thought of therock247 last starring role in the Little Mermaid,this should be a step up?

I rank "Remember the Titans" as one of the best of the best.

scottish cougar

scottish cougar

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
The Great Escape

An all time classic Movie brilliant action an all round Great Movie that everyone can Enjoy

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The great escape is a great film one of the best i can think of certainly one of the only one i never tire of seeing, bridge on the river kwai is another, why cant they make films like that any more they are all so dark and "meaningful" now the closest to a modern war film like the old ones was kokoda but it was kinda dark too, although refreshing in that it didn't have a single American "saving the day", good film though none the less. Modern war films just get so depressing i know war is depressing but movies aren't supposed to be. Im with you on some films being well rated because they are fashionable, heaven forbid they let normal people rate movies especially in magazines(imdb is not bad but it is totally rife with the "arty" fashionable types.

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Ahhhh, war films, my favorite :blink:

I would have to rate Tora, Tora, Tora as my all time favorite. When Admiral Yamamoto says "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." sends shivers down my spine every time!

Excal

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I travel a different path from most of you.

There is no one movie that I would say is the best, but I can think of a trilogy that was absolutely outstanding. Lord of the Rings was the only movie that I have seen in a long time where I actually pre-ordered the extended edition box set. I have watched it multiple times.

For me, its all about categories. For war movies, I liked Blackhawk Down or We were soldiers, but to go with a classic I would definitely say Full Metal Jacket.

Comedy, I would say The whole 9 yards. I don't even know how many times Ive seen that movie, yet its still funny.

Horror, who watches that crap?

I don't really do drama either, if someone isn't dyin, I'm not interested.