Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best movie of all time?

• Please log in to reply

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts

I liked Blackhawk Down or We were soldiers,

If you like We were soliders, you should like "Seige of Firebase Gloria", with your favorite drill instructed from Full Metal Jacket.(R. Lee Ermey)

For Comedy, hands down the funniest movie I ever seen was "Tommyboy".

As far as mini series go, I have watched "Band of Brothers" at least 10 times, what an amazing series!

:whistling:

Excal

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
We Were Soldiers is an EXCELLENT movie. That's another one up on my high favorites list. :whistling:

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
I really liked the war movie "patton". It is about as old as Tora Tora Tora. I liked it because it was accurate, almost documentary accurate.
I liked how they showed him as a decoy for defeating the germans in operation Fortitude leading the fictional 1st army. Not in detail, and not "explained" to you like your a moron which I find alot of modern films do. I find that insulting.
edit: Oh, and Apocalypse Now is a great war movie.

Edited by sarahw, 30 January 2007 - 11:33 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
*admin takes the lowbrow comedy path.

My favorite movie of all-time is probably Caddyshack. But, I'm also a huge fan of Adam Sandler's earlier stuff, Happy Gilmore (golf theme?), The Waterboy, even Mr. Deeds. Click? Yuck! :whistling:

Speaking of funny SNL cast. Has Eddy Murphy made a funny movie since the original Beverly Hills Cop? His comedy went so flat.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Eddie Murphys "delerious" was hysterical, but I dont know if that would count as a movie.

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Two I watch over and over are Zoolander and Napoleon Dynamite

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
AWESOME Classic Movies

The GodFather Trilogy

Lethal Weapon Movies - Mel Gibson - Danny Glover

Terminator Movies - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Welcome to the Jungle - The Rock - Dwayne Johnson

The Mummy - The Rock - Dwayne Johnson

The Mummy Returns - The Rock - Dwayne Johnson

Scorpion King The Mummy Returns - The Rock - Dwayne Johnson

The Alamo (1960) Movie - The Duke John Wayne

TRUE GRIT - RIO LOBO - Hellfighters

EL DORADO John Wayne and Robert Mitchum,

Comedy Classic Movies

Abbott & Costello Meet Captain Kidd (1952)

Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)

Abbott & Costello Go to Mars (1953)

Happy Gilmore Mr. Deeds - Adam Sandler

some all round Entertainment Movies

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Delirious shows from eddie murphy are hilarious i watched one just this week so totally un PC he would never get away with it now, hilarious though hes not billy Connelly but he is almost as funny.

I never got apocalypse now to much i watched the redux but apart from a few bits it left me a little underwhelmed, i like full metal jacket though, band of brothers is amazing fantastic TV ive watched the box set like a dozen times, its very American could have done with showing more of the other allies in action as well and more of the people, but you can forgive it because its good without it.

I love lethal weapon films they are just hilarious, comedy and action is just the perfect combo, although comedy has really taken a dip i hate the kind of comedy thats cringe-humour its just rubbish and so many things use it now, if you cant be funny with your wit you're not funny. For comedy you cant beat the pythons all there stuff is hilarious the holy grail and the life of brian are hilarious, and the sketches are just fantastic.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

The great escape is a great film one of the best i can think of certainly one of the only one i never tire of seeing, bridge on the river kwai is another, why cant they make films like that any more they are all so dark and "meaningful" now the closest to a modern war film like the old ones was kokoda but it was kinda dark too, although refreshing in that it didn't have a single American "saving the day", good film though none the less. Modern war films just get so depressing i know war is depressing but movies aren't supposed to be. Im with you on some films being well rated because they are fashionable, heaven forbid they let normal people rate movies especially in magazines(imdb is not bad but it is totally rife with the "arty" fashionable types.

I would agree about the Great Escape and Bridge over the River Kwai.

For comedy, I loved the old Marx Brothers movies - Night at the Opera, etc.

My husband and I have a lot of Napoleon Dynamite memorized (yes, that's sad, I know!)

I like The Princess Bride - I've watched that a lot.

How about Hitchcock movies? Birds, Vertigo, The Lady Vanishes (excellent movie)

M*A*S*H

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

My husband and I have a lot of Napoleon Dynamite memorized (yes, that's sad, I know!)

...what's sad about that? IMHO...one of the better movies ever made...FUNNNYYYYY stuff...i'm just sad that they are seeming to type-cast him as a marginally challenged individual in the movies he's been in since...napoleon wasn't retarted...he was just an oddball...like everyone else in the movie ("TINA...come get your food...gosh!")...flippiin bodaggetts

how bout "Kung Fu Hustle"?

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I agree Napoleon Dynamite is a great movie. Many people don't get it, because they want a plot and a resolution, and there isn't really one in the movie. My husband has a Napoleon doll that recites 16 random lines from the movie when you press a button:

but my lips hurt real bad!
maybe I will...gosh
Follow your heart, pedro

The only other movie I've seen the actor who played Pedro in, he was also marginalized as a sidekick. Do not watch this movie - it's gotta be one of the worst I've ever seen (it certainly proves Jessica Simpson has the acting ability of a brick wall): Employee of the Month.

I don't know Kung Fu Hustle

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I don't know Kung Fu Hustle

you must rectify that sittuation....it's AWESOME...a kung fu comedy

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
The Lord of the Rings Animated Movie - JRR Tolkien and of course Excellent for THE kids and Adults

Fellowship Of The Ring | Two Towers | Return Of The King

And For Action kung fu Movies , Bruce Lee is a legend

Enter the Dragon

Game of Death

The Big Boss

Fists of Fury

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hmmm....so many films to choose from.

El Dorado (John Wayne).
Casablanca (Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman).
The Adventures of Robin Hood (Errol Flynn).
The Green Mile (Tom Hanks).
The Princess Bride (Cary Elwes).
Platoon (Charlie Sheen).
The Shawshank Redemption (Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman).
12 Angry Men (Henry Fonda).
Harvey (James Stewart).
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (Jason Statham).
Charade (Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn).
It's a Wonderful Life (James Stewart).
The Ladykillers (Sir Alec Guinness).
Great Expectations (John Mills, Sir Alec Guinness).
Ice-Cold in Alex (John Mills).

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Shawshank Redemption is an excellent movie.

I forgot to mention The African Queen, with Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn - I like all the Hepburn films.