Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lan Connection Problems

• Please log in to reply

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
The setup I am using currently is openSuse and WinXP.

What happens is whenever I booted up into openSuse, restart, then boot up WinXp, my LAN connection no longer works. It says that the network cable is unplugged....But this cannot be the problem because I can use openSuse with that LAN connection working just fine.

So why does my LAN connection work with openSuse, but not with WinXP???

Currently, I have been using my wireless, but I would like to be able to use my LAN connection once again with Windows.

Any help greatly appreciated! :whistling:

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
In the Device Manager are there any yellow ? or ! next to the Network Adapter? Have you tried reinstalling\updating your NIC drivers?

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
No, the drivers for the nic card were working alright. I spent about another 3 hours trying to figure out the problem, with no luck in finding the culprit.

So I ended up just recloning my harddrive and now my LAN connection is working fine again.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you have a router make sure your IP is the same for both operating systems, the router sees the MAC address of the network card and assigns the IP to it and not the operating system.