Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU fan goes off constantly

• Please log in to reply

ProfessorFrink

ProfessorFrink

• Pip
  • 4 posts
That's pretty much it....the fan is always going off, even overnight when I am (trying to stay) asleep.
I don't know if this is malware or just too many useless programs, or whether my processor (Celeron 2.7GHz) is shot.
And if it isn't malware, any suggestions on where to post for help?

Any help appreciated, thanks,

HJT Log edited out as no malware found

Edited by Keith, 18 January 2007 - 04:18 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Sorry if this has taken so long to answer. This post should have been made to the hardware forum. From what i understand of your post you run your computer without shutting it off. While you can do that with computers i see no reason to constantly run computers if they are not being used for something.It only takes a minute or so to startup the computer so there is no real reason for a home computer to be left on 24/7.

Now about the fan problem, the first thing i would do is download speedfan and see what the temperatures are. Leave it running in your taskbar and when you hear the fans speeding up, check the temps. If they are higher than 50° then you should look into the problem. It may be that the thermal paste has dried up under the heatsink which is causing the heatsink to NOT work properly.

One caveat is that speedfan does not work on all motherboards so you may not get anything at all in the readings. You also may get some false reading from some sensors. I have one on this computer that reads -48° all the time.

let us know what the temps are so we can move on to the next step.

SRX660

ProfessorFrink

ProfessorFrink

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks SRX660! I'll know to search the forums more carefully next time I need to post.

I downloaded SpeedFan, and although my fan is not currently going off, it is sitting at:
Temp 1: 58
Temp 2: 41
Temp 3: 20
HD0: 41

If the thermal paste has dried up, is it possible to fix myself?

Edited by ProfessorFrink, 18 January 2007 - 04:40 PM.