Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ethernet port

• Please log in to reply

john god

john god

• PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
I have a dell windows 98 pc with dial up. I want to change and get a cable internet for me and my son.
They said I need a ethernet port and a router. I do not have a ethernet port on back of my pc. Is there anyway I could have one installed? I was given a Linksys wireless-b 2.4GHz Broadband Router. It doesn't have a disk or card with it. Would I be able to use this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
:whistling: Thank-You
John God

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
If you have available PCI expansion slots, you can add a NIC (network interface card, AKA ethernet card) which will give you your ethernet port. If you are going to use a wireless router you will need to use a wireless I/O card instead of the NIC card. This provides the wireless connection from your computer to the wireless router. Here is a link that has some excellent guides that should get you going: http://www.homenethelp.com/

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
austin_o

Thank-You for your quick response.
I'm new at this connecting 2 pc's together.
Are the pci expansion slots you mentioned inside the pc tower?
What is a nic card?
What is a I/O card?
Where would I be able to get these?
Would I be able to do this myself.
Sorry for the lack of pc knowledge.

Thanks again
John God

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
The PCI expansion slot is on the motheboard inside of the computer tower. This allows you to plug and play cards of your choice. It it likely that the modem you are using currently occupies one of the slots. NIC card simply means "Network Interface Card". This is a card that provides an ethernet connection (Cat5 cable, RJ45 connector) that cable modems, DSL, routes etc require. This is what you would use to set up a wired network. The wireless I/O card is simply a transciever card that provides a wirless (uses Rf or "radio" frequencies) between the computer and the wireless router you mentioned you want to try to use. It is up to you to decide how you want to go about setting up your network. A wired network is more secure but you must have cat5 cables between the computers and the router. Take a look at the tutorials on that link I provided in my first post. It will give you step by setp instructions about how to set up a network, whether it be wired or wireless. You can get a NIC card or wirless transceiver at any computer store. Walmart even has them.

If you decide you want to go with a wired network, you can get cat5 cable and RJ45 female jacks (with color coded instrutcions and even a punch down tool) at Home Depot. Then use pre-fabricated cat5 patch cables to go from the jack to the computer or router. This method requires no special tools or knowledge of cable color codes and pinouts. This is how I set up my network (4 computers, a router and a cable modem).

Edited by austin_o, 06 January 2007 - 01:37 PM.

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
austin_o

Just picked up the Linksys 10/100 EtherFast PCI Adapter at Staples.
I believe I'm going wired.
Main pc--1 pc about 20' away--another about 50'-75' away.
Do these cables come different sizes and lengths?
Would I need a wired router or could I use my wireless router with the cables you mentioned to go wired?
Once again thank you for your time and patience.

John God

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
As I recall Home Depot has cat 5 cable in 100 ft packages. They may also have 50 ft packages. These do not have RG45 connectors. The easiest way to go (no need for special tools, like crimper etc) is to get the RJ45 jacks, one for each end of the cable. The jacks come with color coded instructions and a punch down tool. You just follow the color code, punch down the wire with the tool provided. I ran a cable from my router/cable modem down to my basement for two computer there, and one to my daughters room. Nice thing about no connectors on the cat 5 cable is you can more easily pass them through holes drilled in walls if that it what you need to do. Then you punch down the jack, add a pre-fabricated patch cord (it has RJ45 connectors on each end). Connect one end to the router, the other to the PC NIC card. You won't be able to use your wirless router. You can get a wired router, like Linksys for about $50.00. You can get one at Walmart, CompUSA, Best Buy, Circuit City, Frys etc. There are lots of other routers besides Linksys. I use a Belkin myself.

From the link I gave you earlier:
http://www.homenethe...guide/index.asp

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
Thanks for the info
John God