Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacing CPU

• Please log in to reply

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Just a simple question, replacing old pentium 4 515j chip for a new core 2 duo E6300. Will i need to reinstall OS, after replacing cpu or should it be okay without reinstalling?

Advertisements

Dan1887

Dan1887

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Ok adding on to this topic, can my motherboard support the core 2 duo, I have the asus P5LD2-VM, the P5LD2-VM DH can support core 2 duo. But on the asus overview for my board it says it can't. But then if you go into the specifications it says core 2 duo support. I am slightly frustrated by asus in ability to be very helpful with stuff like this

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
the edit button is there for a reason.

and yes, your board will work with a Core 2 Duo. It may help to update BIOS though.

and no, you won't have to reinstall your OS.

Dan1887

Dan1887

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
yeah, it is going to require a bios update and the problem there is that requires a floppy disc which currently my custom pc doesn't have. So pretty much I am straight you know whated

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
buy one for $5. some mobos also let u update BIOS by USB flash drive. not sure if urs does tho.

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
maybe you can also use a cd?
make a bootable cd

Dan1887

Dan1887

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Managed to flash bios however now it wont get past mobo screen, can't even load into bios. Goes to the hit del to run setup and freezes. Any helpful suggestions would be great. Ok add on to this. I manage to get it to post but it freezes half-way through, does anyone have an ideas.

Edited by Dan1887, 06 January 2007 - 07:18 PM.

Dan1887

Dan1887

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Ok problem solved. It took a little fiddling but i got it to work