Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DCHP Problem?

• Please log in to reply

BernieDoc

BernieDoc

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have a home network setup using a DLink DSL-300T Modem and Belkin Wireless Pre-n Router. There are two computers (A & B) hardwired to the Router, plus an XBox.

According the Routers LAN>DCHP clientlist only Computer B and the XBox are allocated IP Addresses (192.168.2.3 and 192.168.2.4). Computer A can see the files on Computer B; However, when Computer B tries to access the network, it cannot see Computer A and simply gets the "access to MSHOME not permitted, see network administrator, etc".

I know Computer A is allocated 192.168.2.2, so why does this not show on the clientlist and, is this the reason that Computer B can't see it's files?

Both computers can access the internet. The only problem is Comp B being able to access Comp A's files and directories.

I hope I've explained this thoroughtly enough for someone to be able to help?

Thanks

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Check and make sure all three have the same workgroup name.

BernieDoc

BernieDoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes, they are all on the default Mshome workgroup. As I say, I can access all computers from the one I'm sat at. However, when I switch, I can't see this one.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Here are a couple of other checklist items:

1. Confirm computer A doesn't have the same name as computer B

2. File and Print Sharing is installed for the network connection for computer A

3. Can you ping both ways

Look at this article: http://www.windowsne...ls/nethood.html. It shows some other basic networking things. Since it deals with W98, ME, 2000, and XP, be sure to pay attention to the info for XP.

Sometimes I've found I have to "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP". To check this setting, go to the Network Connection Properties, highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties. On that screen, click Advanced, then WINS tab. The setting is at the bottom.

Did any of that help?