Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ntoskrl.exe error

• Please log in to reply

mathias603

mathias603

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I've just installed XP after using 2000 for years on my machine. Lately I've gotten an error during bootup: <windows 2000 root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is unable to be found or is corrupt. reinstall a copy of the above file

I was never able to fix this problem with my 2000 installation but I was able to boot up if I had my w2000 disk in my cd-rom drive.

Despite deleting my partition and installing XP on the (presumably) clean drive I'm getting the same exact error when I try to boot up xp now. I've tried fixmbr from the recovery console but that didn't work.

Please advise as I'm really not able to understand why my drive is looking for a 2000 file now, despite the xp installation.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi mathias603...

This can be caused by many things, let's start by checking the usual suspects.

Open Control Panel and double click on the "System" icon. Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. In the window that opens, click on the "Edit" button. A notepad window (boot.ini) will open...copy the contents of that window and paste it here for me.

wannabe1

mathias603

mathias603

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I think I've fixed it... sort of. I checked my bios settings and it seems it was trying to boot from my 2nd HD, which at one time also had windows 2000 on it. I toggled the 3rd bootable device to my HDD_0 under the bios settings and it booted without without an error. I did however recieve a choice of operating systems before the windows xp screen and the blue bar. there was a blank selection and then my windows xp selection. When I moved the cursor up the blank area where the first OS would be there was of course nothing. Odd. I was able to select XP and booted fine. Any idea how to get rid of that OS selection screen?

Thanks =)

I'm typing this on my laptop. I'll enter in my boot.ini details momentarily as I now have access to my desktop comp again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yup...that's what I was looking for in the boot.ini. Go ahead and let me see that and we'll edit it a bit.