Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! - Mobo / Memory help

• Please log in to reply

Cmdhoek

Cmdhoek

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am near to buying my system. But I'm having trouble finding a good MOBO. I was leaning towards ASUS, but some of the reviews at newgg scare me. If anyone has some suggestions I would appreciate it.

Processor:
AMD socket AM2

Memory:
Coarsair 2g DDR2 800

MOBO: (this is a mobo my friend suggested, see question below)
Asus AM2 Socket

The reviews on this board complain about Memory compatibility. On the reviews for the board below, someone complains that "Picky about ram due to the max voltage setting of 1.95v." Well the RAM I selected has a voltage of 2.1v. Does this rule out this board?
Asus AM2 (similar board)

If anyone can help that would be great. And any suggestions for a MOBO that would work with that memory would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Adam

Advertisements

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Getting an Asus mobo is a double edged sword. By that I mean when they work they are great and come with tons of features from Asus that are absolutely fantastic. I personally buy Asus boards cause I have had no problems. That being said Asus boards are notorius for arriving DOA and seem to be very sensitive to electrostatic shock. Also sometimes Asus has customer support issues, in the sense that they have no customer support. I would definately suggest looking at MSI or Gigabyte they have a great track record for great boards. If you can't find what you like with those two companies then go ahead and buy an Asus board but be prepared to send it back for a replacement if it arrives DOA.

Edited by Dan1887, 06 January 2007 - 04:40 PM.

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
if you overclock, DFI is an excellent option !

Cmdhoek

Cmdhoek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have never overclocked, this is my first build. I'm still learning, and I hear DFI can be complicated. I'd like a board that I can learn on, but works well out of the box too.

-Adam