Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Monitor Help

• Please log in to reply

JustGrant2009

JustGrant2009

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK, so a moderator may relocate this cause i'm not so sure if it's in the right place or not, (just notify me so i know please).

The situation... I've had my laptop for quite a long time now (2 years). A Dell Inspiron 8600. About 4 months ago i reformated the hard drive for the second time, i got spyware that could not be taken care of by any programs i had bought and no help that Dell's stupid helpers could fix (i obviously hold a grudge against them).

Now, my current problem is that my computer screen gets these lines in it (scrambled vertically only, not black) most of the time it's either when using firefox or windows media player when the scramble lines start, the monitor starts blinking off for a second, then comes back on still with the lines, then eventually goes to the blue screen of death. My only way of fixing it is by doing a forced shutdown by holding the power button.

I don't know if this is a virus or hardware problem or what at all. I reinstalled the video card driver too, and still no improvement. Also, I ran Norton Antivirus, spysweeper, ad-aware, and AVG, all of which bring back nothing.

Please help as soon as possible!
Thanks in advance,
Grant!

Edited by JustGrant2009, 06 January 2007 - 07:49 PM.

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
What's the blue screen message say?

By the way, I was searching the Internet about this problem and I couldn't believe how many lawsuits there are against Dell. I'll bet there are about 12 right now. Nothing involving your unit though.

JustGrant2009

JustGrant2009

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I just tried to trigger it to do the scramble problem by opening and closing a file in Windows Media Player and got it to start, but it never went to the blue screen this time, it just scrambled more and more untill it was completely impossible to read or make out anything on the screen. I did a forced shut down again. I also noticed as the scrambling gets worse, it's response time for moving my cursor or opening things like task manager also gets slower. I opened task manager, and my cpu usuage was still around 3% but everytime the screen blinked to black for a couple seconds it jumped up to 100% but then back to 2 or 3 when i was able to see it again, (it didn't sound like it was working that hard though). i also switched over in task manager to see which processes were running, but nothing unordinary was. What did happen though was that a few lines on processes just vanished, turned white and then came back after the screen blinked again.

I had written down what the blue screen of death had said before but i left the paper in my apartment and am currently out of town visiting family this week. I should be back friday. If I don't see the blue screen of death before i get back, i'll post it as soon as i get home.