Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

trying to remove hard drive files

• Please log in to reply

Lexyluv

Lexyluv

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Well i was having some issues with my computer a while back so i had to format my other ten gig hard drive and install windows on it to get some files i needed. So after i did that and fixed my main system hard drive which is 160 gig everything worked fine. Now i have two systems one on a 10 gig and one on a 160 gig. So when i boot up my computer it asks me to pick a system which would be the 10 gig or my main 160 gig.

I want to remove the 10 gig hard drive first of all so i dont need to choose and option of which system and so i can just take it out of my computer. when i disconnect it i get the ntldr is missing message cause of course its using the ten gig as my system hard drive so it wont let me boot up from the 160 gig liek it used to.

Im running winxp sp2
athlon xp cpu 2800

:whistling:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
With both hard drive installed and you select the 160G does it boot from that drive or is it only the 10G that you can boot from? You could change the boot order to boot from cd 1st, then remove the 10G drive. Put your windows install cd in the drive, boot to it and then do a repair install on the 160G drive.

Here is a guide that tells how to do a repair install: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Lexyluv

Lexyluv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
When i boot up my comp it gets to where it would normally just start windows but it asks me which to boot from as if i had two different computers type deal because there is two systems. I have tried to turn off the hd that didnt work it would just say ntldr missing. So ill test the start with cd and repair and let you know how it goes.

Lexyluv

Lexyluv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
ok unhooked the 10 gig and rebooted started from cd did everything and it said it couldnt find the hd. I had this issue before i couldnt use one hd without the other for some odd reason. Any other ideas would be apreciated

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
Ok try this.
The master HD is the 10 gig and the computer boots 2 it first.
I asume the 10 gig is connected by a pci cable and the 160 gig is sata.
If so enter the bios and there is definition of the sata. It depends on your mother board how on it is called. There u can change the setting from raid to ide. this way the windows will recognize the hd from the instalation. If u cant find it then on the disk that came with the mother board u can make a floppy disk. In the cd is a folder called setup or sata and u need to coppy the contense of this file to a floppy. then when u boot from the win cd and it sais on the bottom press F6 (I think) to boot from raid press F6. then it will tell u to enter the floppy and hit enter then it will continue.
It should now recognize the 160 gig HD.

Before u repair windows try following this link it tells u how to fix ntldr missing I found that it works in 95% of the casses
http://www.computerh...es/ch000465.htm